• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blow by question

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so My 87 4.0 has some blowby problems. right now i have a custom intake that i made that goes to the inlet spot behind the head light. when i did it, i didn't connect the vaccum lines to the pipe at all. i just hooked them together. (particulary the big lines) im getting ready to do a new CCV System. im getting alot of oil spewing out of the top of the valve cover. when i do the CCV, ill replace the filler cap also. my question is: will or is it hurting anything to have the vaccum lines that used to connect to the air box hooked together? somebody told me that they have to be able to breath and i should hook them back to the intake pipe. Any help would be great. :)

Yes the engine needs to breath. I have a 87 4.0 with alot of blow- by . You will find several articles if you do a search on this sight. I connected a catch bottle between the two big lines you are talking about. I got my idea with a search there are even pictures.

the ccv lines are designed to go into the intake system. i could see not having them hooked up would cause the oil that would normally go into the intake tube to spew out of the oil fill cap. i would suspect that if they were routed to the intake tube in simalar fassion as stock, it may help with that problem.

i have a small problem with blow by in my 95 with the stock intake system. i periotically clean out the ccv parts with intake and throtle body cleaner about once a year. it helps keep oil off of the air filter.

hth,
stewie

Back