• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank o ring

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought an XJ and I think that the O-Ring is not sealed correctly, the guy I bought it from told me that he had to replace the tank. It's a '93 and I dont know how to get this done...any help?

Yep. Got a screaming deal on my 95 XJ due to a leaking tank. Shop said the Sending unit was bad and would cost 800 bucks to fix. Got the Jeep for 500 bucks!

Didn't drop the tank either. There is a retaining ring on the top front of the tank. Remove the power lead to the sending unit, then remove the hoses. Once that is done here is where you have to be careful. Us a brass or hardwood drift tap with a hammer and drive the retaining ring counterclockwise till the ring is loose. You will have to alternate hitting the 3 or 4 tabs. Make sure not to generate sparks. Once the ring is removed you will be able to pull the sending unit. When you do this, DO NOT BREATH! The fumes comming from the tank can overwelm you under the Jeep. I assume you purchase a new O ring from the stealership. I paid about 8 bucks. I ended up doing this twice because I didn't use a sealant to hold the O ring into place. It can move on you if you are not careful. I can't remember which one I used but make sure it is rated for fuel tanks and can take exposure to gasonline. Reassemble and you are done.

Hope this helps

Above advice is good. I would add that if you're doing this under the car it can be pretty frustrating and tight and you may have to try more than once, especially if the previous owner did not get the pump itself seated right in the tank. It takes a bit of luck and sometimes a few tries to get it in right. It's much much easier with the tank on the ground. If you don't have brass or hardwood for a punch, aluminum works too.

It can be difficult to get all three tabs of the locking ring to engage at once. Make sure they're all in before you finish tightening the ring, or you'll have to do it over again. The tabs have a slight bevel on them, and it can help to clean that bevel up and sharpen it a bit with a file. This is especially true if the replacement tank came with a replacement ring, and if that new ring is Chinese! Sharpen it and save yourself a few dozen retries. When you're using a new O-ring, as you should, it's a very tight fit, and you'll wish you had three hands.

Once you have all three tabs of the locking ring engaged, make sure you turn it all the way to the stops.

Oh, and don't try to do this job with very much gas in the tank. It is possible to do with some gas in, but the less the better, not only for mess and fumes, but because it's easier to get the sending unit seated without fighting buoyancy. Run it as close to empty as you dare before doing the job.

Thanks guys for the advice, nobody in town had just the ring so I ended up buying the entire unit for $65 and the locking ring for $.20! So I fought with the locking ring for about an hour or so and finally got it in place and reconnected everything, with a sense of accomplishment I jump in the driver seat to fire the bad boy up...no dice. :( So tomorrow I think I'm going to replace everything and try it again.... damn jeep gods have it in for me again!

Any advice on what I should check for before I replace everything? Or any ideas why it's not sending the gas?

Do you hear the pump coming on when you turn the key to the run position? If no then you have a poor electrical connection. The ground is often the culprit. If yes then check the in line filter as all this work may have plugged it up. If these don't help you then check the schrader valve to see if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Just a few suggestions to get you started.

Back