• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plug-wire routing

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
How important is it to have neatly routed plug wires? I understand the idea of crossfiring, but I thought that wasn't really a problem with modern plug wires. In other words, yes, my plug wires are a jumble, but they are wired correctly.

The reason I ask is that I get bucking when letting off the gas. If I entirely take my foot off, or totally release the cruise control, it doesn't happen. I have checked my injectors, plugs, cap and rotor, and O2 sensors, so I'm left thinking it may be crossfiring or a fuel-pump problem (which I'd rather not deal with in sub-freezing temps.).

I know the simple solution is just go out and "properly" and neatly route them, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

EDIT: Oops, forgot--1999, 4.0L.

I don't see whats so hard about sticking them in the wire loom myself. Does make it look nicer and is easier to spot problems. If you suspect cross firing open the hood and start the engine, in the dark, look for any sparking, operate the throttle but keep your loose dangly parts and digits out of the belt and fan area.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I can't remember why I didn't route them neatly in the first place. I usually do.

Back