• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To Remove Wipers?

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I want to modify my wiper blades by replacing em with Rain-X blades :D. I've searched and read my Chiltons.Seems my wiper blades are not the same type connector as in the book.I need to get the old ones off, but don't want to break or bend anything.Could you guys look at these photos I shot and tell me what needs to be done to get em off.Thanks!..............

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
You would puch those in the direction of D and the end of the wiper is the shape of a hook so then just puch the wiper in the direction of C. Its quite simple.

lowrange2 said:

Yes A makes more sense :D As far as standing the whole thingy up, on my Honda the wipers can be pulled away from the windshield and stand on their own, but on the XJ they only pull away several inches from the windshield and you have to hold it while you clean.Should they be able to stand on their own too?I looked for some kind of latch to no avail.

Rotate the wiper arm as close to 90 degrees away from windshield then rotate wiper blade as close to 90 degrees from the arm and push in the direction of arrow A that is indicated on your photo.
Or go to Advance Auto Parts and purchase your new blades and they will install them for free.

I cant believe you drive a jeep like that and cant figure out how to change your own wiper blades. I am sorry but some one was gonna say it sooner or later. Just go to advance auto or autozone and have the kid behind the counter do it.

texinteg said:
I cant believe you drive a jeep like that and cant figure out how to change your own wiper blades. I am sorry but some one was gonna say it sooner or later. Just go to advance auto or autozone and have the kid behind the counter do it.
Wow...That was real helpful.
If you did not want to answer his question, a suggestion to do a search would be a bit more productive.
If there is ever a time you "Cant figure out how to" do something on Your Jeep, I hope someone on this board will take the time to answer you.

Merry Christmas.

I have been bashed plenty of times on websites for asking questions. I just shrug it off. But seriously look at that jeep its a very nice jeep and unless he bought it that way or paid someone to do the work for him I figured he should be able to figure out how to push the little tab on the back of the blade in and pull down on the wiper. There are you happy now that I told him how to do it. I am just suprised that I was the first one one this site to say something. Usually he would have been bashed in the first couple of posts for a question like that on this site. This is one of the harsher sites I am a member on.

texinteg said:

Well typical arrogant wise arse 24 year old response.Probably would of said the same thing my self when I was a kid his age :D.Yeah I pretty much built and installed everything you see except gear setup, but those wipers are a bich!

take said abc whatever shit diagram to the parts store and have the guy wearing the shirt that matches the name on the door put them on for you..... if he does a good job tip him cuz cashier is a shitty job... then get a life and don't waste bandwidth asking something that common logic and reasoning could have helped you with

96 right? First year for the new wipers :)

Ususally underneath the arm there's a tab you depress and then the wiper just slides back towards the pivot side of the arm.

You've got the "hook style" wiper arms - they used to be "pin style" (there was a pin with a groove in it - the groove mated with a clip in the frame.)

You should be able to just pull the wiper arm up as far as it will go easily - no sense bending the thing! - and then you'll push the wiper back along the arm. It's easier to do if the wiper blade is close to a right angle with the wiper arm. There may or may not be a locking tab on the "inside" of the hook (you'll be able to reach it with a fingertip,) depending on brand used.

With practise, you can do it one-handed in about ten seconds (can you tell I've done a lot of wiper blades? Hazzard of the parts profession - but I'm glad I don't do the retail counterman thing anymore...)

As previously described, there is a hook in the end of the blade - once you get it out, you'll see what I mean. Kinda like a deep capital letter "J", or a "U" with a really long leg on one side.

For all the wiseasses - didn't you have to ask someone how to do this yourself once upon a time? We were all new once - I was new (about 30 years ago,) and I still remember that. Perhaps you don't - but I do. We've all got to learn somehow... If he was any closer, I'd have him come around for five minutes and show him how to do it (easier that way) - but there's a bunch of guys in SoCal who should be able to help you if you stumble.

As far as keeping things clean, try this (it costs less...)

1) Wax the windscreen with a good paste wax about once a year. I've been using Turtle Wax for this for the last dozen years or so without trouble, and it improves water shedding more than RainX does (I put the RainX in my paintball box for my goggles - use the anti-fog on the inside, and the RainX on the outside.) I'll usually wax the windscreen about September - give it time to cure thoroughly before the rain starts to hit, but it's still fresh.

2) Use wiper blades with removable rubber bits. Just don't get the "narrow" ones - they use metal ribs that are a pain in the arse to handle. If you can find Tridon or Anco, you're on the right track. If you've got the "universal" blades, you can end up ordering the refills in bulk and keep them in the garage (and a pair in the truck as spares in case the ones you're using break down all at once. Keep from direct sunlight.)

3) Change just the rubber bit (the frame lasts just about forever - typical life in years...) every six months. Down in SoCal, you get too much sunlight and not enough rain - in about six months, the rubber starts to break down and you get streaking, smearing, and the like.

Sounds like you got a lot of work done, but you just (somehow...) managed to miss this all this time. It happens - so just learn and move on. Think of it as one more thing to add to your notebook...

texinteg said:
I was thinking BS question. He just wants to show off that bad azz Jeep. Show us some more picts of the Jeep and get an Autozone dude that changes blades all day to swap your blades. Bring a rag for the autozone dude because some of those guys are real car guys and may drool on it.

Stumpalump said:
I was thinking BS question. He just wants to show off that bad azz Jeep.
Ya kinda what i was thinking, but i do it too . I just wait till i get a new mod worthy of posting a new thread. I try not to post rather dumb threads so i can post up unnecessary pics of my rig, somebody might think im conceded!

...lebaron hood vents worthy? :D

Last edited:
shortxjdoug said:
take said abc whatever shit diagram to the parts store and have the guy wearing the shirt that matches the name on the door put them on for you..... if he does a good job tip him cuz cashier is a shitty job... then get a life and don't waste bandwidth asking something that common logic and reasoning could have helped you with

Talk about wasting bandwidth!Another 20 year old immature a$$ hole comment, I was pretty close to your level of rudeness going through puberty too, except we didn't have the internet to coward behind, and sometimes you got your a$$ kicked when you opened your mouth teaching you a valuable lesson that could possibly keep you from getting killed in the future because you talked to people face to face.:twak: As for these blades, they have never been changed in 11 years, nor needed in 11 years in the desert.Pushing every which way with reasonable force on the tabs didn't budge em, obviously something was seized, hence asking the correct tab direction before applying more force, and breaking something.You'll find when you mature your eyes don't work as well pushing 50 as they did 20 Also you'll find when you grow up your more apt to take care of stuff because daddy don't pay for it anymore:doh:Thanks to those that helped, great writeup 5-90, yeah when it comes to changing a drive shaft or U-joint no problems, but I'm definitely a newb with these.It never rains here.

Last edited:
I am not jealous. I told him he has bad ass jeep. I have 6.5 inches of lift with home built longs arms and am in the process of doing a coil spring conversion on the rear of my jeep. I figured out how do do wipers myself. Along with all the other fab work on my jeep. I just figured someone with enough knowledge to build a jeep like that should be able to figure out how to take off wipers. If you were one of my friends and you walked into my shop and asked me how to take off wiper blades I would bust your balls just the same. I did my time at autozone saving up for my own shop. Oh and age has nothing to do with it.
Young guys can have experience too. Some of us started at a real young age.

Back