• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Blower Switch ?

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, this obviously seems to be a bad switch but ...

HVAC blower works fine on speeds 1,2 & 4, nuthin on 3. Bad switch? Was running fine on speed 3 and then just stopped. Clicked it to 1, 2 and 4 and was fine. I assume there's no relay associated with just the 3rd speed right?

Dave

On other vehicles Ive replaced the resistor pack. What it is is a card type resistor with a different path for each speed. Each path has a different resistance, controlling motor speed. Not uncommon to have a path burn out, Ive replaced them on KJs and dodge dakotas. Not sure if an XJ has them, but I would think it would have something similar?

Any idea as to where this little gem might be hiding?

there is one main connector, but each speed has a lead. One may be dirty or burnt. Pull the controls out of the dash and clean the connector and take a look at it.

Here's where you can find it.

Remove the kick panel from under the passenger dash. There are four screws. Two up under the dash (bit_ch to get to) and the other two mounted to the fan housing by the floor board.

Once the panel is removed, you'll see a rectangular box at the bottom of the fan housing. Remove the wiring harness and two screws holding it in. The resistor assembly can then be removed.

And did I mention that you need to stand on your head to do this.

Just a FYI. Those coils are indeed resistors, just not the type you are accustomed to seeing. The coiled wire is resistance wire and the reason they are coiled is to disappate the heat. If your fan ever really "dies", the resistance wire will cook. The fan turning keeps the coils cool. If you were able to look into the fan box while operating, you would see one of the resistance wires glow. You have to remember, a lot of current is being "dropped" across those coils to reduce the RPM of the fan. This is why when they fail and the fan is running at high speed, the fan is drawing full power.

The diode is for polarity protection.

Back