• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D 30 CV Shaft

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I keep tearing boots on the CV shaft and Breaking them. My XJ is stock except for a mildly built 3.1L. I read this http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101343 and it doesn't answer the question I have exactly.
Can I swap out the CV shafts for 260 U Joint shafts? or even the 297/760's? They should all be 27 spline I think. Oh and my shaft is the disco

I have yet to see a cv front axleshaft, from my understanding you pull thosae out and install u joint shafts as a straight swapover.

bcmaxx said:
I have yet to see a cv front axleshaft, from my understanding you pull thosae out and install u joint shafts as a straight swapover.

some pre-87 XJs as well as some ZJs and WJs..

I had a CV driveshaft in my 85 XJ. Called Tom Woods and he set me up with a real one. Just give him your TC type (I think yours is a NP207) and you'll get a new output yoke. You'll have to measure the drive shaft from your current yoke to the yoke on the front drive shaft.

Get rid of it. IT's weak and WILL fail at the worst possible time. Mine broke twice: once in Moab (had to remove it to drive home) and othe second time two winters ago in deep snow. I had to walk a mile in a storm to get someone to pull me out. They are not good.

I think the cost of my new drive shaft was about $300 and worth every penny. The swap was super easy. Pull the old yoke, install the new one, install the new drive shaft and grease it up.

Simple.

pabloconrad said:
I had a CV driveshaft in my 85 XJ. Called Tom Woods and he set me up with a real one. Just give him your TC type (I think yours is a NP207) and you'll get a new output yoke. You'll have to measure the drive shaft from your current yoke to the yoke on the front drive shaft.

Get rid of it. IT's weak and WILL fail at the worst possible time. Mine broke twice: once in Moab (had to remove it to drive home) and othe second time two winters ago in deep snow. I had to walk a mile in a storm to get someone to pull me out. They are not good.

I think the cost of my new drive shaft was about $300 and worth every penny. The swap was super easy. Pull the old yoke, install the new one, install the new drive shaft and grease it up.

Simple.
I'm not talking about the CV driveshaft. I am talking about the CV axleshaft.

sidriptide said:
some pre-87 XJs as well as some ZJs and WJs..
As far as I know all 1st generation XJ's (84-86) have the CV axleshaft

pabloconrad said:
85s don't have a CV axle shaft. Every early model (aka first generation) jeep I've ever run into had u-joints.

I have one.
Some one has put the u joint shafts in it. The dealer says they are CV shafts, Oreillys and Advance says so too. And the guy that had this Jeep since it was new would have never thought to do any upgrades to it. and it has CV shafts in it now. But it seems that my questions have been answered. Thanks for the replies!

84-86cvshafts.jpg

1985xjlaredo said:
Some one has put the u joint shafts in it. The dealer says they are CV shafts, Oreillys and Advance says so too. And the guy that had this Jeep since it was new would have never thought to do any upgrades to it. and it has CV shafts in it now. But it seems that my questions have been answered. Thanks for the replies!

Odd. The guy I bought mine from in 99 (while going to college in Kentucky) was the original owner and he never worked on it except to get the engine rebuilt.

I wonder if it is a regional thing?

BTW, the photo of the from the parts catalog show a set-up for an axle w/o the disco.

addendum: Talked with a guy at a Jeep dealership in Glenwood Springs, Colo., and says both were standard

"it was just a matter of what part they had on hand. Chrysler was weird during that time." - Brad in parts and service

pabloconrad said:
addendum: Talked with a guy at a Jeep dealership in Glenwood Springs, Colo., and says both were standard

"it was just a matter of what part they had on hand. Chrysler was weird during that time." - Brad in parts and service

Chrysler has always been weird.... but AMC was still the weird one then.

pabloconrad said:
85s don't have a CV axle shaft. Every early model (aka first generation) jeep I've ever run into had u-joints.

I have one.

I beg to differ. My 85 came waggy came with cv axleshafts. All five of the 84 to 86 jeeps I have junked this passed summer had cv shafts. But I have run into some jeeps of the same years with the 207 t/c that had 260u-joint axleshafts. HTH.

Kim

1985xjlaredo said:
OK so I keep tearing boots on the CV shaft and Breaking them. My XJ is stock except for a mildly built 3.1L. I read this http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101343 and it doesn't answer the question I have exactly.
Can I swap out the CV shafts for 260 U Joint shafts? or even the 297/760's? They should all be 27 spline I think. Oh and my shaft is the disco

Yes, the U joints are not as smooth as the CVjoints in 4x4 tight turns, but they are stronger.
My 96 had 297 shafts, I got a pair of CV shafts and put them on till I happened to get a good deal on Yukon alloys, so now I am back to the 760-X U Joints.

Well all I know is that these CV shafts in mine suck!!!! I want the U joints!
Are there any years that wount fit my axle?

pabloconrad said:

Chrysler had nothing to do with Jeep in 1985, they didnt buy AMC/Jeep till 1987/1988...so Brad is Service dont know his Jeeps :)

Back