• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd conversion

tribal_4x4

NAXJA Forum User
a buddy of mine has an 88 comanche that is 2wd. He wants to convert it to 4wd. I have all the parts needed for this swap with my 87 cherokee thats out of commision. is the swap still possible considering that his comanche is a manual and my cherokee is a automatic. Ive been reading threads all over google on the swap and they all mention having to take the tranny with the tcase out of the 4x4. Is the tranny really needed or could we use the manual tranny in the comanche. cause i dont know how you would swap manual to automatic and i dont know what it takes.

You can't bolt the transfercase up to a 2wd transmission. You would need a manual donor transmission for the parts to covert it to a 4wd manual, or just another transmission to put in it. I guess the BA10 couldbe different then the AX15 in that regard though.

Dont know about the manual to auto though. If you have a donor car though it cant be that hard, just take all the parts off that you would need

I would love to have a 2wd MJ tell him Ill buy it

Like 600dollarxj said, all you would need to do to complete the whole swap is the donor jeep. All of the parts from the 4wd will fit on the 2wd except the rear driveshaft.

Back