• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ Laredo w/Vacuum Disco & NP 231

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I need some serious driveline help here,

Note I have not examined my axle yet. I'm hoping my description will bring me some useful suggestions.

I returned my '89 XJ Laredo to the road last weekend and I accidentally disengaged the NP 231/vacuum disconnect front axle then re-engaged everything. That is, 4L to N to 4H. I was trying to circulate lubricant through the NP pump and I accidentally moved out of N.

Now my front axle makes noise most of the time; mostly as I'm slowing down or launching the XJ. Left turns are quite noisy while a hard left turn is louder. A right turn remains silent.

Generally, I hear a ticking sound as if the shift fork in the front axle broke in response to my negligence.

Any ideas what broke? How serious is this? My guess is despite the damage it does not appear too serious as I've been using the vehicle as a daily driver since I repaired it.

Thanks,

Rick

Shift fork or front axle u-joint.

My money says shift fork. Easy fix, but if it is there chattering, pull the shift fork housing and pull the fork, then move the coller to disengage the 2 shafts till you can fix it.

Rev

Back