• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Control Arm Skid plates

hards91xj

NAXJA Member #790
to protect the brackets from getting bent.
Some people have built them and there is some companies selling them.
Does anybody know of web sites for them or at least some pics of some?
I need to do something for mine now that I have them straight and new bushings in.

Couple of my buddies back in the day made them from a couple squares of 3/16" steel...

There are bolt-on types and there are handy brake-bent weld-on types from JKS. *I* like the kind that weld on.

Howard here are two different homemade set I've made

1st Gen 3"x4" box cut in half. Cost= next to zero

LCAskids006.jpg

And my favorite, because every XJ owner has a couple of leaf spring U-bolts plate sitting around. Cost= ZERO

LCAskids002.jpg

BTW these fit PERFECTLY

XJourney said:

LCAskids006.jpg

And my favorite, because every XJ owner has a couple of leaf spring U-bolts plate sitting around. Cost= ZERO

LCAskids002.jpg

BTW these fit PERFECTLY

nicely done... now I wanna go out and weld some on :D

Thanks for the info ,I was looking for ideas and now I have some..
I am going to build my own ,use up some of my metal crap, before Sean wants to come back and put some together for show n tell... lol

Last edited:
hards91xj said:
Thanks for the info ,I was looking for ideas and now I have some..
I am going to build my own ,use up some of my metal crap, before Sean wants to come back and put some together for show n tell... lol
I can come by and weld them on for you.:roflmao:

Sean

XJourney said:

LCAskids006.jpg

LCAskids002.jpg

BTW these fit PERFECTLY

Looks awesome. Did you notch the spring pack plate for the TB "nut"? and ever get hung up in reverse?

Thanks for the pics very cool,
Jeremy

DrSockMonkey said:
Looks awesome. Did you notch the spring pack plate for the TB "nut"? and ever get hung up in reverse?

Thanks for the pics very cool,
Jeremy

Yes I notched the plate for the TB nut. And no I have never been hung up on the plate. It maybe hard to see but the plate curves up at the back so there isn't much to hang up on.

Is anyone running these with stock lower arms?

I was going to make a set of these this weekend, but discovered that the oem arms stick out past the sides. Meaning a plate wouldn't sit flush. I'll have to take another look, maybe I can cut off the extruding pieces.

TORX said:
Is anyone running these with stock lower arms?

I was going to make a set of these this weekend, but discovered that the oem arms stick out past the sides. Meaning a plate wouldn't sit flush. I'll have to take another look, maybe I can cut off the extruding pieces.

I considered this when I was still running stock arms also.

You should be able to grind down most of the arm that is in the way (without removing them from the Jeep) and then either let the rest self clearance itself or put a slight "bend" into the skid plate so that it gives just enough clearance for the stock arms. Either way should work, it will just require a little extra effort/work.

Michael

I just welded some square pieces of 3/16" steel to the bottoms of the brackets. The lower arm joint on my suspension was too big to run the plate all the way to the bottom, so I cut it just short enough to clear the radius of the joint at the arm end, maybe 1/8" clearance.

Back