• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Clunks everytime I go over a bump

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
One of the many issues I've been having with my XJ is that everytime I go over a bump, even a speedbump it will make a loud clunk noise. When I first purchased a vehicle the seller told me "oh its just a spare tire clunking"...WRONG. I cannot find what it is but something clunks. It drives me nuts, I thought it was my exhaust hitting against the UHAUL tow bar that was installed previously but it isn't. So if anyone has had a similar problem, let me know what it could be...I can never re-generate this clunk unless I'm driving. I can't do it by shaking the rear end or anything like that.

Is it coming from the front end or rear end? Right side or left side? Do you have a gas tank skid plate?

Is it lifted? stock? could be quick disconnects or just worn out bushings in your steering/suspension causing that clink. That's just a random idea, more info would be appreciated.

It's stock, no gas tank skid no nothing. The only thing not stock about it is the uhaul trailer hitch but that's solid.

I think it's coming from the rear, but I could be wrong.

I am gonna shoot from the hip here with the limited info, but I would suggest checking the rear shocks. My 99 made a clunking sound and it was just the worn out rear shocks.

Same exact problem. Mine was the upper shock mount. One of the bolts stripped out and one side of the mount kept hitting the floorpan over every little bump.

grab majic 8-ball

shake-shake-shake

The outer leaf spring u-bolt is coming loose.

shake -shake-shake

On the passenger's side.

shake-shake-shake

On the rear bolt.

shake-shake-shake

And your cats ugly!

toss majic 8-ball back in drawer... :D

Last edited:
I get the same type of clunking from time to time. Mine also will bottom out over severe bumps. I am going to check out my rear shocks.

Okay so I made my wife drive and I tried to pay attention to the clunk and it's coming from the driver's side rear. I think I would bet on the shock too...

:dunno: are we still talking about XJs here?

Mine had done that, but i could feel it in the floorboards, it was my exaust pipe mount bracket on the trans. crossmember, bent it up alittle and my tail pipe as well... no more clunking. just check if everything is tight, get under it and jiggle the pipe and listen for taps.

RTicUL8 said:
grab majic 8-ball

shake-shake-shake

The outer leaf spring u-bolt is coming loose.

shake -shake-shake

On the passenger's side.

shake-shake-shake

On the rear bolt.

shake-shake-shake

And your cats ugly!

toss majic 8-ball back in drawer... :D

That's jus awesome. And how most noobs fix problems.

Information is the key to making proper decisions.

blackhawk411 said:
hmm...i gotta get under there

While you are under there, check the shackle bushings. They can clunk if they are worn. It's hard to make them clunk when you've got it jacked up - so you will have to look closely and feel around.

HTH

Back