• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaybar/torsion bar talk (anti-rock, rocklock, etc...)

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
I've been eyeballing some of the various swaybar setups out there lately, and have been wondering whats the best choice for me.

It seems I am really looking at two options.

Let me preamble this with how I use my Jeep. I use it on NW trails, not really a rock crawler much, just tight technical, off camber twisted up trails. I also use it in the rally season on stage during the races. That means winding gravel and dirt roads at speeds from 30-60MPH (and sometimes a little more on the straights)

Now, onto my options...

The first would be something like a Currie Anti-Rock torsion bar, that is always connected and provides trail stability, and anti-sway protection on the road.

The second is something like the Skyjacker RockLock, Teraflex S/T, or ORO Sway-Loc, where connected it is alot like the currie unit, but also has a disconnect to allow free movement of the suspension.

I guess the main question here pertains to trail use. For the type of wheeling I do, I'm not sure if I should go for the disconnect versions, or stick to a currie for it's added stability.

Thoughts?

Well, my thoughts are get the disconnect type and don't unlock them unless you feel the need on a particular trail. If you get the always connected type you cheat yourself out of the option to disconnect them if the chance presents itself.
In other words give yourself the option and you lose nothing.

I've got the Anti-Rock on mine; works great. I installed it to help increase the roll rate on my rear suspension (coils), to gain back some stability on off-camber stuff, and to help get rid of torque lean and body roll on the street. It works very well on all counts, and I can't say I've even noticed much difference in articulation. Right now it's on the 'softest' setting...I may bring it up a notch or two next trip out just to see what the difference would be.

mikeforte said:
Well, my thoughts are get the disconnect type and don't unlock them unless you feel the need on a particular trail. If you get the always connected type you cheat yourself out of the option to disconnect them if the chance presents itself.
In other words give yourself the option and you lose nothing.

good point

vetteboy said:
I've got the Anti-Rock on mine; works great. I installed it to help increase the roll rate on my rear suspension (coils), to gain back some stability on off-camber stuff, and to help get rid of torque lean and body roll on the street. It works very well on all counts, and I can't say I've even noticed much difference in articulation. Right now it's on the 'softest' setting...I may bring it up a notch or two next trip out just to see what the difference would be.

also, good point!

So I've been thinking about it all day and I think the anti-rock is going to be fine for me, the rest is just expensive overkill.

Now the question is bar width, arm length, so I can pick out a universal kit

I would imagine that TJ measurements would work fine, but they don't list them in with the part. I guess I'll have to bust out the measuring tape tomorrow.

From the sounds of other threads, the TJ 35.75" bar length is good, but the TJ arms are a bit long....and theyre....18"????

Last edited:
WheelinJR said:
So I've been thinking about it all day and I think the anti-rock is going to be fine for me, the rest is just expensive overkill.

Now the question is bar width, arm length, so I can pick out a universal kit

I would imagine that TJ measurements would work fine, but they don't list them in with the part. I guess I'll have to bust out the measuring tape tomorrow.

From the sounds of other threads, the TJ 35.75" bar length is good, but the TJ arms are a bit long....and theyre....18"????

JR, mine works just fine...but you'll need to do some 'notching' of the frame so the arms will clear. If you need pics and measurements I can get that for you.

Mine's the 44" universal bar. I doubt this will help for what you're trying to do, but to get an idea of the span of it...

DSC02480.JPG

Just clears the rear frame on both ends.

Any updates?

Back