• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB airline setups

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty fellas Im finally about to buy my ARB for the rear. So this here is what I'm wondering. I already have an air compressor capable of pumping my 2 gallon tank up to 120psi on my rig and in use. What PSI does the ARB require and it comes with it's very own valve correct? SO if I plum the air lines off of my already existing tank and redeuce the pressure to within spec and go thru the supplied valve I should be just fine! Right? Wrong?

Last edited:
Yes,IIRC its like 80 psi max!

Page 31 ARB Install manual

Compressor must supply a minimum of 85 psi
The supply must never exceed 105 psi

Here's what I used.

Viair 450C 150psi max

Viair Combo pressure valve and relay 85 On/105 Off
t_1953.jpg

I've got that exact same compressor. I use the exact same switch but different values..I want to say its 95on 115off - maybe... I want to keep my tank up around 100psi so I guess I won't even need a pressure reg between the tank and the valve for the locker. How does that valve work... Is it a 3 way valve? Does it open to allow air in then close and then open the other way to exhaust?

They definately work on less PSI.I had a major air leak(at the compressor) last year and could hardly maintain 60PSI,but the locker worked fine!

lowrange2 said:
I've got that exact same compressor. I use the exact same switch but different values..I want to say its 95on 115off - maybe... I want to keep my tank up around 100psi so I guess I won't even need a pressure reg between the tank and the valve for the locker. How does that valve work... Is it a 3 way valve? Does it open to allow air in then close and then open the other way to exhaust?

When you say valve, I assume you are referring to the solenoids? I have never really paid attention to mine, but I think when power is applied the solenoid remains open. When power is cut the solenoid is closed and the air between the solenoid and the locker is exhausted.

100psi should be fine. The standard ARB compressor isn't regulated - it just has a pressure switch for a range of something like 85 - 105.

-jm

So the switch is built into the compressor and it just runs until the locker and line reach 100psi... then it cuts off. Do the lines ever tend to leak down any? I don't get how the lines attach to the carrier... The bitch spins!

lowrange2 said:
So the switch is built into the compressor and it just runs until the locker and line reach 100psi... then it cuts off. Do the lines ever tend to leak down any? I don't get how the lines attach to the carrier... The bitch spins!

That I couldn't tell ya

WheelinJR said:
That I couldn't tell ya

You don't have one? I just can't understand where the line attaches to the carrier that spins... It's kinda like putting a KC light on each of your wheels... The bitchs spin! WTF!

You will get it when you buy it!Theres a collar(kinda like a second bearing)that has 2 seals and rides over the carrier bearing collar on the carrier.The carrier is drilled at this spot to deliver air to the inside of the carrier!The fun part is modifying the bearing cap and routing the steel line out of the diff housing!

The most common failure is during set-up(damaging the seals).Ive got 6 years on my 2k and 3 years on my 95 with no problems(3 ARB's total)!

With only a 2 gal tank, your compressor is going to run alot when you're airing up tires anyway, so the difference between 105 and 120 is prolly negligible. I'm running a 2 gal tank and have yet to use my compressor to air up after a trail run, which tells me that I need to get out and test it..........soon!

Back