• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Washer pump?

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is the pump for the window washer controlled by a fuse? There is a fuse in my box marked R/W wiper (rear), it's good, pumps fluid to the rear. Front not squirting. Plenty of fluid (full). Wipers work fine. Intermittent works fine. Cruise, blinker, hi/lo all work fine.

So where do I look? Switch? Fuse? Relay? Pump?

Thanks

90 Laredo

I had this same problem with my front pump over the summer. I tested all the fuses and found them to all be good. The new pump cost me approx $20 and took 30 min to replace. I found that if you take the front driver inner wheel well off you just have to pull the old pump out and put the new one in, so that you dont have to unbolt the whole fender to take the tank out.

On my '90, 3 sheetmetal screws hold down the tank; they are accessible from under the hood (no need to remove the fender or liner). If the pump doesn't work when wired directly to the battery, you can remove it using a socket on a long extension to the inlet on the inside of the tank

dademac22 said:
I had this same problem with my front pump over the summer. I tested all the fuses and found them to all be good. The new pump cost me approx $20 and took 30 min to replace. I found that if you take the front driver inner wheel well off you just have to pull the old pump out and put the new one in, so that you dont have to unbolt the whole fender to take the tank out.

Only 97+ have the washer tank in the fender. Older models are easily accessable from under the hood.

Not the pump, both pumps run off battery. Curcuit for rear pump works. Front pump no workie.
Switch on stem does not do the wash wipe thing, turning the wipers on is OK but no pump & 3 wipes.

Maybe your front nozzles are clogged. Use a straight pin to clean out the sprayers. My Jeep sat for a few years and this worked on it.

time to chase spark, put a multimeter on your pump motor leads and determine if they have a signal, if not, chase it further . you may also check the same method from the column switch. I hate this process but that's the way to find the problem. you could just shotgun blast the problem by checking EACH fuse under the dash and under the hood, but, a logical approach should work best.

Back