• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ steering box

The only problem I would see with it is that It would interfere with any aftermarket bumper you bought that bolted into the factory holes... You would just have to modify the bumper I suppose.

I am about to do it now that my steering box is taking a crap... I do have a YJ box sitting in the garage.

I currently have TNT customs Inner Steering Brace and my bumper ties into my steering as well.

My plan is to basically just drill one more hole for the 4th hole on the YJ box b/c it's my understand that (3) of the (4) will just bolt right up..

JEEP914x4... is that what you found also? Also, did the fitting for connecting the lines match?

uncc civilengineer said:
I am about to do it now that my steering box is taking a crap... I do have a YJ box sitting in the garage.

I currently have TNT customs Inner Steering Brace and my bumper ties into my steering as well.

My plan is to basically just drill one more hole for the 4th hole on the YJ box b/c it's my understand that (3) of the (4) will just bolt right up..

JEEP914x4... is that what you found also? Also, did the fitting for connecting the lines match?

Correct, 3 of the 4 holes line right up. The power steering line connections are identical to the XJ box. You will just need a few washers to make sure it's spaced away enough because it has a slightly larger bore.

I have the C-rock inner plate. It doesn not have enough metal to drill out for the 4th hole. I only have 3 bolts in mine.

Jeep914x4 said:
Correct, 3 of the 4 holes line right up. The power steering line connections are identical to the XJ box. 1. You will just need a few washers to make sure it's spaced away enough because it has a slightly larger bore.

2. I have the C-rock inner plate. It doesn not have enough metal to drill out for the 4th hole. I only have 3 bolts in mine.

1. What do you mean slightly larger bore? Washers on my fittings prior to threading into the YJ box? When I think of Bore I think hole diameter...

2. I was looking at that as well but it appears that on my TNT inner brace I should be able to drill the hole... it should still contact the inner brace.. Then I'll just weld a peice of 1" 0.25 wall tube to the inner brace for the bolt...

Still not sure.. heck I may just put the 3 bolts in it and let it ride for now.. I dont think it's going anywhere w/ plating on both sides of the frame rails...

Chris

I have that kit from T&T and it is great. Stiffend up my steering quite a bit and is a MUCH stronger mounting setup than stock. Requires a 1 " hole thru the frame with a sleeve. The YJ box is geared a little lower than the XJ box and is non variable rate. Didn't interfer with my bumper at all.

uncc civilengineer said:
1. What do you mean slightly larger bore? Washers on my fittings prior to threading into the YJ box? When I think of Bore I think hole diameter...

2. I was looking at that as well but it appears that on my TNT inner brace I should be able to drill the hole... it should still contact the inner brace.. Then I'll just weld a peice of 1" 0.25 wall tube to the inner brace for the bolt...

Still not sure.. heck I may just put the 3 bolts in it and let it ride for now.. I dont think it's going anywhere w/ plating on both sides of the frame rails...

Chris

That wasn't too clear.... I meant the size of the box is larger. The washers would go between the box and the spacer to make sure the box wasn't rubbing on the spacer/frame rail.

The power steering line fittings will work without any modifications.

I think the "frame" makes a bend where the 4th bolt is. You might be able to make it work though. I'm hoping the plating on both sides is enough to hole with 3 bolts.

YJ box is bolted on.. i'm getting pretty good at PS box swaps (1hr)... I'm off to buy a 5/8" drill bit to drill out the pitman arm... I'll let you know if I can tell a difference this weekend after we ride...

when i had talked to tnt, they said they use the 88 and older YJ box if i remember correctly. i know around here if you have the parts store look up YJ and TJ steering boxes, they show the same part number. so that's not right. now napa shows a different part number if i have them look up an 87YJ. so you might have to do just a little research before just jumping into the YJ box.

scorpio_vette said:
when i had talked to tnt, they said they use the 88 and older YJ box if i remember correctly. i know around here if you have the parts store look up YJ and TJ steering boxes, they show the same part number. so that's not right. now napa shows a different part number if i have them look up an 87YJ. so you might have to do just a little research before just jumping into the YJ box.

That's odd... b/c most of the ones I see are for 87-95... same part number.. IDK?

WOW new thos ebad boys are $219.00 with a $220.00 core!!! looks like i need to find a needle in a hay stack (a wrangler in a junk yard) anyone know where i can get one thats affordable

This is a good upgrade, and it's nice that TnT is providing a kit for it. I've broken ears off of two steering boxes, and talked about going to the four bolt box, but that kit wasn't out when I did mine and it looked like a big hassle to make the modification. If that kit would have been out then, I would have a four bolt box right now.

As far as the 3 or 4 bolt cases, they are interchangeable. Saginaw made both 3 and 4 bolt applications with the internals the same. Most performance power steering companies can sell you either a 3 or 4 bolt box in either variable or non-variable.

I had no idea you could do this. i just happen to have a 94 model yj box sitting here.

What does the steering feel like compared to the stock box? do you have to turn the wheel more to get the tires to turn as much? Like a lower gear ratio?

99NCXJ said:
I had no idea you could do this. i just happen to have a 94 model yj box sitting here.

What does the steering feel like compared to the stock box? do you have to turn the wheel more to get the tires to turn as much? Like a lower gear ratio?

wanna sell it? :D

Its been for sale for a while now. but now i'm thinking about keeping it and using it on my 99 xj. do you really get a better steering feel with it?

Back