• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i use J-B weld on my gas tank?????

There are other gasolene tank repair products out there. Specifically made for tank repairs, and not affected by gasolene.

I'm not sure if JB Weld can withstand gasolene or not.

I had a rust hole in my tank. It dripped once every so often. I hit the tank with a wire brush to get all the dirt of then used the tank repair kit from Oreily's. After I patched it I went to the gas station and like the dumbass I am I bought 20 bucks worth of gas came out and filled her up! I didn't even check to see if I had fixxed the leak. About 10 seconds later my friend started hollering from the other side of the parking lot! The SOB was now POURING gas on the ground! I hauled ass the 2 miles back to my house and let it all leak out into a bucket. By the time I found another tank and installed it most of the gas had evaporated or was diluted... :( Dumbass!

Moral of the story.. Just find another tank in a junk yard...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NW-86-96-JEEP-CHEROKEE-WAGONEER-FUEL-TANK-GAS-TANK-JP2B_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33556QQihZ001QQitemZ110200211947QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:
yes... I patched where it was leaking from the first time but the problem was that when I wire brushed the rust patch I opened up 50 other pin holes... If it's rust that you're patching then buy a new tank... you'll waste your 5 bucks on the JB weld.

My experience with epoxy (in this case West System with a patch) is that it will work fine, if you get all the holes, though you're still on borrowed time. I patched my 95 when a couple of pinholes opened up on the very top of the tank, and it held up fine for three years or so. The tank failed later at the seam. If the rust is lower down, you may have problems, especially if its an area that flexes, and if it's along a seam, forget it. The seams will just seep no matter what. If you're sure you know where the leak is, and know that there are no other holes about to open up, it's probably worth the attempt.

99xjclassic said:
A neat trick is, if your ever on the trail and need a quick fix, rub a bar of soap over the pin hole, seals it right up.

You carry a bar of soap on the trail ? Hmmmmm....:eek: I do carry some orange hand cleaner or some dishwashing detergent. :D :D :D

That gas-tank-sealer crap sucks. I ran a bolt through the fuel pump housing one day (parking lot fix for bad ground + no fuel pump) and used the sealer stuff found at Autozone. Sure enough, 2 days later, I filled up and smelled gas......turns out it was seeping through the sealer. Tore it all apart, and used rubber-backed washers...haven't had a problem since.

real men fix holes in the tank with a welder.....lol...must be why the world is short on "real men"

permatex 5 minute two part epoxy is fuel resistant, used it on sled tanks as well as where the pipes go through the fuel sender , (over a year no leaks from sender). I can get a part number iy anyone needs it

I've used JB weld on a motorcyle gas tank. Held fine until I put Seafoam in the tank. It made the JB weld soft enough I could push my thumbnail into it, and gas started to seep out. Not something I would do again. I would look for a replacement tank.

Jake

carquest has some good stuff. it comes as a putty, its kinda like a stick, its gray with a black center, i dont know what its called but i used it a couple years ago when we poked a hole in a tank with a sawzall blade:laugh3:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-11230-594-4133-3m-automix-panel-bonding-adhesive-08115.aspx

This stuff. (Thats not the exact one, I think the one I'm talking about is 8509. Its a black and blue tube.)

I work in a trailer shop and we use this for roof patches. I used it on my gas tank, and I could hit it with a hammer. you can put the tank back in ten minutes later, and its fully solid 30 minutes later. If you put it on in the cold, its easier to put on with the tank in the truck.

Though you'd need a special gun to get the stuff out the tube.

gill41083 said:
carquest has some good stuff. it comes as a putty, its kinda like a stick, its gray with a black center, i dont know what its called but i used it a couple years ago when we poked a hole in a tank with a sawzall blade:laugh3:

I carry two 6" sticks of that in my gearbox, I figure it would be great if a hole occured in a diff cover oil pan etc.

Back