• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10 Search Tips?

Hudson Bend

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to swap out complete axles into my 96 stick 3.07 . Was there a specific model post 91 that would have the 8.25 factory installed 4.10's? Or was that one of the options you could order when you bought new?

Of course I am always on the lookout for that "fictional, but in great condition" 4 cyl 2.5L XJ that came standard with 4.10's and a stick. I am beginning to think that all other 4.10s were aftermarket gear installs. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On my search for complete 4:10 diffs I found three local wreckng yards that had them, I paid what I wanted for them

that i great find, may nevr happen, I'd get an 8.8 out of an explorer/ with disc brakes

But were those diffs you found Chrysler 8.25's?...I am trying to keep my down time for this DD to a weekend by doing all prep and repairs needed to the donor axles before installing. Were they off of XJ's and if so, was there a particular model? The threads on the 8.8 are exhaustive and it is definitely an option but not the option which fits my needs/tires/use thereof. But those disk brakes sure sound enticing. I lost my 97 Explorer 4x4 to my Ex so maybe I sound a bit touchy or something. Sorry.

Last edited:
my 4:10s were out of an 88 4cyl automatic, the front was a disco axle, that I converted to one peice thanks to alloy usa, the rear was a dana 35, I soon changed to a 8.8 posi. Be prepared to replace brakes,bearings/hubs, control arm bushings and ball joints as I had to do all of this.

Hudson- try www.car-part.com you can search your vehicle year, then choose which part, in your case (Axle Assy Rear w/housing), then pick Chrysler 8.25 w/4.10 ratio. You can sort the results by price, distance, etc. They've got all sorts off good stuff on there, it's a national junkyard search engine. I was going to do the same thing as you, I found one local to me for $400- it was much easier than the 8.8 swap would be, all you have to do is unbolt the driveshaft, u-bolts, e-brake and brakelines. It would probably only take you a few hours, and that's with installing new brakes and bleeding them. The only reason I didn't end up going that way was because I found a factory D44 w/4.10's in the u-pull-it yard for $45!!!!!!! Good luck!

Hudson Bend said:
I am always on the lookout for that "fictional, but in great condition" 4 cyl 2.5L XJ that came standard with 4.10's and a stick.

Mine's not fictional . . .
But it is 2 W.D.

Sometime in the middle of 1996 they changed from 27 to 29 spline axles, mine is a 27 but with a 4 cyl. and a light foot, I'm not too worried.
From what I have read the only way to tell for sure on a '96 is to open up the rear end and count.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks Joshv98XJ and others as well. Checked out your link and found a couple possibilities close by to check out. Gotta love this new age online let your keyboard do your walking technology. And, of course, the NAXJA community.

Back