• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheels Stressed/Failing????

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I was taking off my front wheels the other day and noticed a perfect Circle around the holes for the lugs. Really I guess a ring would be a better description. It has webbing in between the inner and outer part of the ring. I am assuming this is a reflection of the inner structure of the wheel. I checked the rears and they do not show this. Is it possible that my wheels are stressed around the lugs and may be failing?

Thanks!

Glen

Anyone have an opinion on this?

that circle that you see, it's for washer lugnuts

Not around each hole, around all of the holes. I tried to take a picture but it did not turn out.

Wheel.jpg

My paint skills suck but this should give you the idea.

clearcoat on the rim cracking peeling???

try the whole "taking a picture" thing again and see if you can't get it to show up under some different lighting or something.

if it does it on ALL 4 wheels, then i probably wouldn't worry about it.

PS: have you tried cleaning your wheels. maybe they're just dirty. :)

The lines are actually clean spots in the dirt. What concerns me is how is cleaning perfect geometric shapes? It is only happening on the front.

Wheel-1.jpg

Wheel2.jpg

wheel3.jpg

Last edited:
There is nothing structurally wrong with those wheels. There is no stress you could put on them with daily driving or even moderate off-roading that would cause a problem. I see 60+ wheels a day come through my shop and I've never had a problem with anything like that. My guess is that it's cracking in the clearcoat, but on an aluminum wheel it would bend long before it would crack.

that ring is the outer diameter of your hub. the only thing i could possibly think of is that for some reason your hubs are getting seriously hot causing a temperature change that is visable in your wheels. check your brakes and make sure they're not seized/sticking, and that your wheel bearings aren't bad.

other than that i'm drawing a blank right now.

holly crap i totally didn't even notice that. that might have possibly answered your question.........maybe.

if the nut comes loose (even if it's so minor that you can't tell visually or by hand), it would loosen the tension on the bearing, which in turn would/could allow such a minor amount of play in the bearing that it would start going bad, and might also be contributing to the increased heat if that is in fact what is making the ring on your wheels.

it might be a little far fetched, but at the same time possible. you always have to consider the facts and try to figure out what the problems have in common. in your case: front wheels only, lockwasher and cotter pin missing on axle, visible ring of the outer diameter of the hub.

have you had the tires rebalanced recently? the balancing machine has a wingnut with a cup on it looks like that to me

Sorry about the cotter pin...I haven't finished putting it back together after installing VANCO brakes. I put the wheel back on to make sure it would clear the caliper.

Maybe it is from the balancing machine? I had them balanced two weeks ago.

scorpio_vette said:
so go over there and ask them how the wheel mounts up. that might explain it. just to satisfy your curiosity/concern.

I believe I will!

I THINK I have noticed some new front wheel drive vehicles with no locking pin for the front hubs?

So that may not be a huge issue as long as they are torqued down properly.

souske said:
have you had the tires rebalanced recently? the balancing machine has a wingnut with a cup on it looks like that to me

I second that!! ours measures 5 1/2 inches.

Back