• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Input needed: RC 6.5 susp lift conversion to long arm setup

89XJPIG

NAXJA Forum User
(89 XJ 2 door) I'm currently running a Rough Country 6.5" suspension lift. It has adjusable control arms. I noticed after adjusting them down to the length I needed for a short arm setup..I could thread them out to aprox 8 inches longer than the short arm setup.

My questions are:

How long should I extend (thread out) the control arms..all the way?

What is the best way to mount them?

Where can I find bolt on brackets to mount them to? ( I don't currently have access to a welder ).

dellstopjeep said:
bad idea, you want to havbe a lot of thread engagement for strength purposes.

I agree. And for the record our control arm drop brkts are not to far from shipping. they test fitted final product on my jeep it is just a matter of getting them in and packing them up I will let everyone know when and how much

89XJPIG said:
(89 XJ 2 door) I'm currently running a Rough Country 6.5" suspension lift. It has adjusable control arms. I noticed after adjusting them down to the length I needed for a short arm setup..I could thread them out to aprox 8 inches longer than the short arm setup.

My questions are:

How long should I extend (thread out) the control arms..all the way?

What is the best way to mount them?

Where can I find bolt on brackets to mount them to? ( I don't currently have access to a welder ).

I'm not familiar with those arms, but 8" of thread is certainly strong enough, and so would 6" and likely 4", but I wouldn't go lower than that. There are no bolt on control arm mounts for making your arms slightly longer, you'll have to weld them on. There are places that make pre-fab control arm mounts that would work on an XJ, but they still need to be welded on.

GRIMUS99XJ said:
I agree. And for the record our control arm drop brkts are not to far from shipping. they test fitted final product on my jeep it is just a matter of getting them in and packing them up I will let everyone know when and how much

Can one assume the drop brackets will be accompanied by long control arms as well?

Drop brackets and long arms are 2 totally different things!

yea
the drop brackets lower the position of the control arms down a few inches
this will make ur control arms more level for a better ride at the expense of ground clearance behind ur front wheel.

6.5 is a little tall to not have longs arms or drop brackets. The control arm angles are real bad by themselves so the ride is real rough and for me at the time all over the road.

bandit455 said:
89 xj pig,
i have a question, how bad is the ride now?
i was thinking about purchasing the rc 6.5" kit but no one old me good things about it.

The ride is far from plush but definately liveable. The shorter faster bumps you'll notice..but the big dips, drop offs etc..this suspension eats it up.It's definately geared more for offroad abuse than on road comfort.

thinking about getting the rc 4.5 lift with the both adjustable control arms and they are coming out with drop brackets?. Hmm does it have a support braces like the re? How much for the drop bracket kit?

GRIMUS99XJ said:

i want to see pics if u got some.

Back