• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all I have a 2001 Cherokee and the cruise isnt working. I have read that the clock spring goes bad. Whats the best way to be able to tell that it is actually the clock spring. Its not the most cheapest of parts to just replace and be wrong. But my symptoms are when i press the crusie button nothign at all happens no light or no feeling the cruise engage. ANY HELP IS GREAT! Thanks!

If there is no light I would suspect that it is the cruise control relay. I had the same problem in that I could not get the light to turn on and engage. Like I said, I would suspect the relay which is an easy fix.

It should be in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood. If you look at the underside of the cover it should state which one it is. If not let me know and I can locate it for you, but I am sure its in the PDC.

2000XJSPORT said:
It should be in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood. If you look at the underside of the cover it should state which one it is. If not let me know and I can locate it for you, but I am sure its in the PDC.

Doh, nowonder I can't find anything in my owners manual for that and the windows:eek:

Thanks Alex:cheers:

XJensen said:
The battery also eats away at the vacume line that runs under the battery to the ball in the pass. side of the bumper
True, but if the light doesn't come on when the cruise button is pressed, the vacuum line isn't the problem.

When my '96 had cruise problems, I noticed the light was intermittent in not lighting. My clue was that the speedometer also didn't work every time...turned out to be a Vehicle Speed Sensor problem. How's your speedo looking? Any random indications of too fast or too slow? Any 'no bus' signals on the instrument panel?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

My spedo looks pretty good. About a year ago i had a "no bus" come up but it was like 5 degrees out i turned car off then on and it went away never seen it since. Ill check that PDC box thank you! I found this diagram on here which one is it I dont see one for Cruise. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912356 Thank you!

Last edited:
If the clockspring is bad, wouldn't your horn also stop working?

It is my understanding that the clockspring is a mechanical electrical circuit used to provide continuous electrical continuity between the instrument panel harness and the electrical components mounted on or in the rotating steering wheel. (airbag, horn. speed control)

Fuse in the speed control circuit is F23...but it also supports other circuits that you don't say you are having problems with, so I doubt you have a blown fuse...

McQue​

I checked today and could not figure out which one the cruise control relay was. Do you think it could be the switch it self on the steering wheel? If so would I have to remove the airbag to do this or can i just take out the switch with the screw on the back? Thanks Again

I just realized my CC wasnt working either. I had popped of the CC throttle cable that controls the fuel consumption located right next to the regular throttle cable. Make sure thats connected. Other than that, keep checking the above suggestions.

Back