• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Playing Good (capatalist) Samaritan-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Saturday evening I was watching the news and they were reporting thousands of people stuck in 200' deep snow drifts on I-90 near Snoqualmie pass with 70 knot winds and 45° below zero temps. Wooley Mamoths were blocking the road and WSP was requiring tank treads be put on all vehicles except Subarus if they wanted to cross the pass.

Sounds like fun to me!

I left Issaquah about 2100 and headed up the pass. It was snowing lightly in Issaquah, but the closer I got to the Hwy 18 interchange, the worse the conditions got. The road wasn't really that bad, but the snow was coming down so hard there was near zero visibility. I was cruising about 40 mph so I could see where I was going.

At the bottom of the hill outside of Preston, I saw a bunch of folks chaining up. To the last one, nobody had flashlights, gloves, or cold weather gear. I decided to stop and lend a hand to a few folks and saw them on their way. As I reached the summit of the hill, I saw a 2WD Ford Ranger off to the side of the road and decided to investigate.

I asked if he needed a tug and he was very enthusiastic. I hooked a strap to his front tow points and was just about to give him a yank when a tow truck pulled up...the one he had called 2 hours previously. The stuck guy felt kinda bad, but when the wrecker driver told him he wanted $250 to tow him 4 miles to N. Bend, he decided IXNAY's Towing would do just fine.

Cimg3526.jpg

I ended up following him to N. Bend to make sure he didn't have and more issues and the guy was very appreciative, both verbally and monitarily. I normally would have turned the money down, but I knew the next morning I was buying a new rig, so....

I went further up the pass and didn't see anybody else stuck, so I went and played in the snow:

Cimg3531.jpg

New tree down on Tinkham Rd.

Cimg3533.jpg

As I made my way up the mountain (conditions were great and I had no problems at full pressure) the IXNAY mkI started getting a little warm. Then something toxic fell through the drain hole behind the rear passenger seat and started melting. I'm still not sure what it was, but I had to bail our of the Jeep and let if melt away.

I also discovered a new Easybakeflowmaster solution:

Cimg3538.jpg

Worked pretty well, actually. It was pretty cold up there, and I thought this made a cool picture:

Cimg3541.jpg

Anyway, after screwing around for a little bit, I went home with the snow still coming down really hard. Here's me at the North Bend Shell station refueling:

Cimg3546.jpg

Note my new custom hub:

Cimg3548.jpg

On the way home I saw a few guys playing Bumper Semi's:

Cimg3551.jpg

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
Saturday evening I was watching the news and they were reporting thousands of people stuck in 200' deep snow drifts on I-90 near Snoqualmie pass with 70 know winds and 45° below zero temps.-----Matt-----
Can this be??? A typo by Matt?! Yet another sign the apocalypse is very near.

Sweet pics!! I wish we had snow like that here in T-town. Nothing beats seeing folks attempt these hills and fail miserably!

- Jay

looks like fun. i mada about 80 bucks last weekend unstucking people on and off base.

I made a bunch of money also. 30 people called in at work, so work called me in to do OT.

Its probably a good thing it doesn't show here.
We get 2'' of snow and the whole city shuts down.
I can't imagine what people would do if all that rain Portland had was snow, and it was 20 something degrees out. Everyone would FLIP.

CanMan said:
I think thats it. :D

And it looks like the cap of the hub just fell off? The 6 allen head bolts broke off in there.

he said it was giving him lip so he beat it with a sledge cause it locked up

New XJ check list:

1. Fabricate heatshield for rear passenger area prior to flowmaster installation.
2. Halon system..... ?

:patriot:

WheelinJR said:
That looks so fun, I wanna go tow people out...too bad it doesn't snow here.

No. You guys get freaking ice storms funneling down the gorge!! GOD!! I hate getting caught in Portland Ice Storms!!! Especially the part where I slipped on the ice sheet while heading to the bar....

Metal Thrasher said:
No. You guys get freaking ice storms funneling down the gorge!! GOD!! I hate getting caught in Portland Ice Storms!!! Especially the part where I slipped on the ice sheet while heading out of the bar....

Ficksted it for you

WaXJ_Skier said:
Ficksted it for you

No it was on the way in. If it was on the way out I wouldn't have felt it or cared. :viking:

This wasn't the specific one but much the same..... An inch thick coat of solid ice on the cars, roads, everything.
http://www.oregonphotos.com/Ice%20Storm%202004.html

We had a training class that started at 8:00 AM and the ice started at 7:30. Four students showed up with severly damaged cars from crossing the 205 bridges from Vancouver. One Volvo had literally scrapped away the whole front end to teh radiator... Sold him a bunch of parts the next week... (yes, we discounted them).

Last edited:
Back