• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what lift kit

natesjeep

NAXJA Forum User
im looking to buy a 3 or 3-1/2 inch lift kit but i dont know what one to get i have a 97 jeep cherokee with a 4.0L i6 im willing to spend about 500 to 600.

Looks like Rusty's might be your only bet. At that price range you're probably only looking at an Add a Leaf (AAL) which will most likely sag after a while. Also remember that you have a 97 so you will definitely need a Transfer Case Drop or an SYE, every jeep is different, your's might vibe it might not. There are also other things to consider when doing a lift. You'll need shims, an adjustable trackbar is also highly recommended. By the way be prepared to be slammed by the search natzis.

kdailey4315 said:
By the way be prepared to be slammed by the search natzis.

:search: :search: :search: :search: :compwork::compwork:
:hang: :firedevil

:D

Check this out.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2018&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=FEECD74349547

And re drill your track bar at the axle.

That will get you going for a while untill you want bigger tires, more lift, adjustable track bar, gears, bigger tires, more lift, lockers, bigger tires, more lift...........

its a jeep thing!

AND DAMN IT SEARCH!!!
:)

Save your money and get a Longarm!! Doing it right the first time will save ya money down the road! I waited a year and saved my pennies, now I have a kickass longarm setup by BDS!!

mattyj said:
That will get you going for a while untill you want bigger tires, more lift, adjustable track bar, gears, bigger tires, more lift, lockers, bigger tires, more lift...........

its a jeep thing!
:)

If I could only get my wife to understand that.

kdailey4315 said:
If I could only get my wife to understand that.
I wanted a bigger boat so I took my wife#1 to the boat show. We picked out a new Master craft but it was 60 grand. We then liked a nice Searay but it was 40 grand. A week later I found way more than I really wanted used for 8 grand and she was amazed at how cheap it was and actually said you better get it befor sombody else does. Dumb bitch all I wanted was about a 17 foot beater with a 85hp outboard and wound up with a 20" 454 Concord on her dime!
Wife #3 and I wanted a jeep. Took her to the jeep dealer and showed her the new Rubicon Unlimited and showed her how cheap they were compaired to a Hummer.
Week later a find a nice xj for about 3 grand and she's delighted. Of course even when I now have 10 grand in it she still thinks she got off cheap. Psycology my freind is your only hope when dealing with a women. So google up some jeepspeed builders and show her the nice ride you can get built for 25 grand and then when you show her a nice $2500 suspension kit that you can install yourself she will think you are special and she will be glad she married so well!

ColoradoRaptor said:
Save your money and get a Longarm!! Doing it right the first time will save ya money down the road! I waited a year and saved my pennies, now I have a kickass longarm setup by BDS!!
If he only wants a 3.5'' lift, that seems rather pointless. A long arm kit adds so many other things into the equation. Which basically translates into more money.

Look into RE or OME. I have a OME on my 99 and love the ride.

what are you looking to do

if you are just going for looks and some light wheeling a 3" or even 4.5" rough country kit will fit your budget

But if you are doing a fair amount of wheeling then i suggest that you spend the money and get a 3.5" rubicon express kit with some decent shocks.

Be aware that you will at least need a transfer case drop and at 3 1/2 inches a trackbar as well

if you are just going for looks and some light wheeling a 3" or even 4.5" rough country kit will fit your budget

But if you are doing a fair amount of wheeling then i suggest that you spend the money and get a 3.5" rubicon express kit with some decent shocks.

Be aware that you will at least need a transfer case drop and at 3 1/2 inches a trackbar as well

bandit455 said:

im looking at doing mostly light wheeling. i found a RC 3' for only $250 but i dont know anythung about the company have you ever heard of JM-offroad.com.

the 3" rc kit will work ok at first but be aware that the rear add a leaf will sag some after a while. you also dont recive any lca's to correct your angles. this will make for a pretty rough ride. try to find a kit with full leaf packs and some lca's. you will be happy you did

Starboard M said:
If he only wants a 3.5'' lift, that seems rather pointless. A long arm kit adds so many other things into the equation. Which basically translates into more money.

Look into RE or OME. I have a OME on my 99 and love the ride.

He never stated what kind of wheelin he does! Should have asked, oh well.... Cheaper just gets you a crappy ride and a wishlist for better stuff. Yeah, he only wants a 3.5 now because that is probably all he can afford! Yes, a longarm does add other things into the equation like more money and a better ride on and offroad!! You get what ya pay for these days!

I just installed an RE 3.5" AAL on my 2000 Sport. I also purchased the basic RE twin tubes, and the "light duty" RE1600 trac-bar. The price I negotiated for all of this was $615 shipped to my door through Full Size XJ gear (Thanks!) I should also mention that JeepinJoe was close in price as well. While I would have liked to put new packs on the back, I had to draw the line somewhere. My factory springs were still in decent shape. When the AAL's start to sag, I'll upgrade then. My one mistake was not purchasing a TC drop at the same time. I bought this from Rusty's the other day because I didn't like the RE pucks. Hopefully they will quiet the driveline. If not, I'll add the shims next. As to the ride, its still settling. It does dwarf my buddy's XJ with a 2" lift, though. :sunshine:

Oh, when you order the lift, start putting PB Blaster on the upper shock bolts. I didn't do this enough and broke all four. I ended up drilling them out and cutting holes in the floor to replace them with a nut/bolt assembly. Oh what fun!

so i decided to go with a nicer lift something like the RE super flex kit what else do i need to get with that. also my leaf sping only have 87000 mile on them nad are in good condition can i get the AAL or is that just going to wear out in 6 month.

the add a leafs should last a little longer than that, but they ride horrible. if you can, try to find some good leafs for the back. RE sells some nice ones, but i have no expirence with them. all i know is that i had the RE aal and it felt like the back end jumped in the air every time i hit a bump it was so stiff. i got the bastard packs now and theyre a little better but i think a good set of new leafs would be superb.

Stumpalump said:
I wanted a bigger boat so I took my wife#1 to the boat show. We picked out a new Master craft but it was 60 grand. We then liked a nice Searay but it was 40 grand. A week later I found way more than I really wanted used for 8 grand and she was amazed at how cheap it was and actually said you better get it befor sombody else does. Dumb bitch all I wanted was about a 17 foot beater with a 85hp outboard and wound up with a 20" 454 Concord on her dime!
Wife #3 and I wanted a jeep. Took her to the jeep dealer and showed her the new Rubicon Unlimited and showed her how cheap they were compaired to a Hummer.
Week later a find a nice xj for about 3 grand and she's delighted. Of course even when I now have 10 grand in it she still thinks she got off cheap. Psycology my freind is your only hope when dealing with a women. So google up some jeepspeed builders and show her the nice ride you can get built for 25 grand and then when you show her a nice $2500 suspension kit that you can install yourself she will think you are special and she will be glad she married so well!

I'm getting married in may. This is very usefull information to have!! :worship:

Stumpalump said:

This advise does work!! I have a wife that only knows how to gas up and go! She shure knows how to blow money on clothing though!! Oh well, I have my Jeep!!:yelclap:

Back