• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd hard when cold

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
When my 89 Cherokee with the Peugeot BA/10 is cold and I'm leavin the house, it will be hard to shift into first, second and third. Let me explain:

When stopped, shifting to first is easy, then once I'm going and go to shift into second, it will feel as if it hits an invisible wall and won't go in without some good effort, and it may or may not grind while going in. When shifting into third, it'll usually grind a bit. The grinding is almost inaudible, I can just feel it in the shifter.

If I'm in second at a crawl, and try to shift into first, it's extremely difficult and almost won't go in at all. Also, I noticed a few months ago that very rarely while stopped, I would shift into first and it would be difficult, then all a sudden the shifter would go into a place, I would hear a loud BANG, the whole jeep would kind of shift, and all would be well.

Once the jeep warms up, there are no more shifting problems. Could this be a clutch that isn't completley disengaging? The transmission was rebuilt 50,000 KM ago by the previous owner, so that shouldn't be the problem. Is there a way to bleed the clutch on this? The fluid is in between the LOW and FULL mark, as well.

Thanks.

I had a toyota that did the same thing. If I released the clutch and then depressed it again (while in neutral) it would shift into gear easily.
It couldn't hurt to examine and possibly change the fluid in the tranny.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and do a fluid change. I noticed I do have a tranny fluid leak, so it could be low. Havn't figured where it's coming from though.

However I still do believe the clutch isn't disengaging completley, so is there a way to bleed it on the Peugeot?

is the tranny leaking fluid or the hydraulic clutch system?

you can bleed the hydraulic system, the slave has two lines coming out of the bellhousing. one has the bleeder on the end. have some one push in the clutch while you open the bleeder. just make sure the clutch master doesnt go dry.

seems like you have a leak in the master(dripping onto fuse block) or slave(dripping out the bottom of bell housing).

Okay I'll look for those lines, thanks.

Also I believe the fluid it is leaking is transmission fluid, as the fuse block is dry and the reservoir has always been constant.

Back