• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with fuel pump

bigredjeep777

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 jeep cherokee 4.0. My fuel pump is moving around in my tank and the nipple can slide in and out quite a bit creating a leak. my question is does the pump mount in the tank a specific way? and should the main fuel line nipple be able to slide around?

it should fit snugly into an indentation and have a rubber gasket/o-ring. A lock ring retains both of them tightly in the indentation. My guess is that the o-ring has either failed or a previous owner failed to reinstall it after a pump change-- could just be a loose retaining ring though!

Either way ya gotta drop the tank to fix it.

Inside the tank, at the bottom, is a bracket with a hole that the "nub" on the bottom of the strainer fits into; the strainer attaches to the bottom of the pump, and is the inlet to the pump.
This hole has a large grommet that supports the fuel pump assembly, and keeps it from moving arround. It's possible to have the grommet pull out of the hole when you remove the pump, and possibly fall into the tank.
One problem with replacing the fuel pump without dropping the tank, is that it's difficult to get the fuel pump assembly back into this grommet. To me, it's worth the extra work to drop the tank, and while it's out, steam clean the inside.

Back