• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Skid questions

yikes

NAXJA Forum User
For a 1999 XJ, what do you guys recommend for gas skids ?

skid row - tomken - dpg - or some one elses ?

I run a Skid Row on my '97 and have hit it a few times. Plenty solid for me.

JeepFreak21 said:
There is nothing wrong with OEM for a gas tank skid (IMO)...

If you can't find a '97+ XJ to take one off, you can get one off a ZJ and easily make it fit.

HTH,
Billy

Thanks All.

A ZJ is 1993 - 1998, right ?

What has to be done to it to make it fit a 99 XJ ?

You'll just need to drill a couple extra holes and it bolts right up. If you have a hitch, use it as a template. Did that to my 99. The ZJ skid is plenty beef and only cost me $20.

yikes said:
A ZJ is 1993 - 1998, right ?

ZJ refers to a Grand Cherokee

My vote is for DPG for sure.... super beefy 3/16" thick. Their belly skid rocks too.

99greenjeeper said:
You'll just need to drill a couple extra holes and it bolts right up. If you have a hitch, use it as a template. Did that to my 99. The ZJ skid is plenty beef and only cost me $20.

Just a couple holes ---- thats it -------I'm getting a ZJ skid for sure then.

sure - a zj is a great choice and easier to find

i got a 97+ from a member here for about 50 dollars and even stock it is pretty solid

I run a zj it works fine

I have the Tomken and its been tickled by the rocks a few times, no issues. I will say that any skid protection is better than none at all. The factory skids hold amazingly well also.

Back