• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove engine and tranny?

Wagon Master

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
:new: I'm new to NAXJA, and I have a question, so please don't be mean.:twak:

I'm going to pull the 4.0, tranny, and t-case out of an '88 XJ for rebuild as a 4.6. I need to keep the wheels attached so I can roll the body around.

Would it be easier to drop the front running gear and drop the engine/trans/t-case all together out the bottom, or do it through the top?

I have access to a full shop (lifts, jacks, jack stands, all tools, etc.) until next week Friday, when the body has to leave the shop.

Oh, and telling me to do a search because this question has been answered a million times probably won't help, because "engine, tranny, remove" will probably get a million hits...:eek:

Thanks for the advice.:wave1:

Easiest Way to do it is to start by taking off the hood, the front header panel, the top of the radiator support, and radiator.. and then the grille.. then.. pulling them out is cake.. just make sure you take the tranny off the enging before you pull the engine. you take the tranny / transfer case out as one unit.. it's not that bad.. or if you wanted to.. you could leave them in ..

I pulled the on out of my old 87' xj out the top trany/transfer/motor whith your average cherrypicker in about 1.5 hours.2 people..good luck

SnowyXJ said:
Easiest Way to do it is to start by taking off the hood, the front header panel, the top of the radiator support, and radiator.. and then the grille.. then.. pulling them out is cake.. just make sure you take the tranny off the enging before you pull the engine. you take the tranny / transfer case out as one unit.. it's not that bad.. or if you wanted to.. you could leave them in ..

I'll be rebuilding the lot, so they all have to come out. The reason I was hoping to pull them together is to avoid the dread top bolts on the tranny: Word is they're much easier to seperate when out of the vehicle.

Definately pull them out as a unit. Remove the radiator, grill and radiator support as well as the front header panel as noted above. And don't forget the transmission crossmember. This allows the rear of the engine/trans/transfercase combo to tilt down at the tail end. I did it this way and was able to remove the whole combo with out removing the hood.

Wagon Master said:
I'll be rebuilding the lot, so they all have to come out. The reason I was hoping to pull them together is to avoid the dread top bolts on the tranny: Word is they're much easier to seperate when out of the vehicle.

The way to deal with the top tranny bolts is to hook up your hoist and then pull the motor mounts and brackets. With those out of the way, its pretty easy to lower and get to the bolts.

In my case, I pulled the engine by itself from the top-front and then pulled the crossmember and dropped tranny/T-case as a unit.

Probably could have brought it out the front, except there wasn't much room in front of the jeep in the small shop I was in.

Back