• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My poor jeep

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I wrecked my jeep. i swerved into a yard to avoid a lady who slammed on her brakes:twak: and hit a hunk of log (with my right front wheel/axle)on the ground then hit a tree. I THOUGHT it was only cosmetic, which it primarily is except for a mildly bowed radiator(that miraculously doesn't leak), but i took it for a spin minus the header panel, lights etc. and the pass. fender and found out my steering is FUKKED! turning to the left it maxes out the steering box at what should be about half lock, and when turnig to the right it goes way past full lock and doesn't make the sound that it makes when at full lock ever. my steering wheel is Fukked accordingly. Question is how do i fix it? just get it reallinged? or do i have deeper problems? also i looked at everything and compared it to my moms and it all looks dandy. im stumped/ totally new to this shit. Help me please!

you dont have a bent tie rod/drag link/tie rod end? check everything again, look at the threads on the TREs and on the sleeve on the drag link...look at the tie rod itself....look at your control arms and mounts too, they probably took a pretty big hit as well.

are you stock? how much lift?

Upon further Investigation i realized that my Trak bar is bent at the top end like a mofo. is this the culprit and when i replace it will the problem disappear? 3.5'' of lift with stock steering setup.

Ok, Not sure what all the stuff is called but the bar that is supposed to be parallel to the axle is angled up towards the pass. side but is straight ( could that just be a result from the lift?) and the one that is supposed to be parallel to the Track bar seems to be angled up towards the driver side a bit( maybe 1/2 inch off) but i can't tell if it is bent or not.
Edit:. its definatly bent back and down a bit

full heim!

which numbered parts are you looking at that are bent?

http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_oem_replacement_parts/steering/Cherokee_steering.php

if you've got the stock steering then it's the factory inverted y, the tie rod does not go from one knuckle to the other, it goes from the drivers side knuckle to the draglink.
The draglink should be parallel to the trackbar.
I'm betting that the impact has bent the trackbar and the draglink.
You might want to look at your axle bracketry and the frame side brackets for your LCA's as well, a hit that hard might have torn them.

your track bar being bent/off will definitely throw your steering off...so will having a bent drag link (the one that should be parallel with your track bar)

your track bar has a natural bend/curve in it, so you'll have to compare it to a stock one that you know is good....

Keep posting, we'll help you out...

snap a pic of it if you can.

Get it on a frame rack and check to see how bad the unibody is twisted. generally with a hit that hard it will be tweaked. Replace that trac-bar first though!

the steering box is still fully intact and connected, that was one thing a knew how to check and knew to check for. how hard is it to install a new centerlink( thats what the haynes calls it) and possibly a new tie rod?

that parts easy, just get some one who knows a little about working on stuff, sound like you dont have much hands on exp. so a buddy that knows a little will help alot

I'm not sure exactly what year but I ran in to this a while ago. Might help!?

IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/chasdwitt/Jeepfrontendparts.jpg[/IMG]

ParadiseXJ said:
I'm not sure exactly what year but I ran in to this a while ago. Might help!?

Jeepfrontendparts.jpg

Here you go.

Without pic's it's hard to figure out exactly what's up. Does it pull to one side? Is the steering wheel to one side or the other when going straight down the road? So you have a stock trac bar?
If everything else is straight check your control arm mounts and see if those are straight. Uhhh....what else?

beatassXJ said:
WHats That?!? i don't know shit about this steering stuff.

Hey! If your draglink (The bar outlined in teal) is bent then I have a replacement that I can sell ya that is brand new! They got for about 110 bucks at the parts house. I'll sell it to ya MUCH cheaper. PM Me. :spam:

Last edited:
Well shucks I once wrecked my scooter. I was doin about 7 down the retirement home pathway. Some crazy woman ran out and scared me and I took a turn down this hill. I started rollin, but luckily my rollcage made from 14 gague steel, held me in there. I sure was holdin on for dear life. I ended up gettin in the lake but my scooter was still runnin good. I got a snorkler put on her so I just cruised right back out of the lake with my 17 inch big mudders. Ah damn fools always tryin to mess your stuff up.

Back