• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express 3.5 rear leafs

chris_amrein

NAXJA Forum User
On my 97, I have a 4" lift up front and 1" lift shackles in back with stock leafs. I have brand new 3.5" lift Rubicon Express leaf packs for the back that I want to put on, but everyone says you get about 5" of lift out of them.

Has anyone taken leafs out of this pack to bring it down some?

I don't have a SYE yet and I don't want to get driveshaft vibes so I'd like to limit the rear lift to about 2.5" to 3".

Thanks, Chris

Ive never heard that you will get five inches of lift from the 3.5 spring packs. im running the 5.5 and its only 5.5 inches of lift. but hey, i may be wrong about your situation
just some info from one chris to another. =]

norcalchris said:
Ive never heard that you will get five inches of lift from the 3.5 spring packs. im running the 5.5 and its only 5.5 inches of lift. but hey, i may be wrong about your situation
just some info from one chris to another. =]

I'm going to agree here. They might sit a little high at first (an inch or so) but wheel it a few times and get em broken in, they'll settle.

Removing leafs is probably a bad idea. You'll increase axle wrap issues and cause problems. If you want 2.5" of lift, starting off by buying 3.5" leafs might have been a less than desirable move.

I just installed a RE 3.5" kit a couple weeks ago and I'm sitting at 5".
Hasn't been wheeled yet, but it's got about 500 road miles since then.

get out there and flex that slut out a bunch! my springs stood tall and rode stiff for about 6 months...then i got em out there and started workin the suspension and it settled down and got soft as could be.

I would not take a leaf out of the packs. I have about 800miles on my new 4.5SF kit which uses the 3.5" packs. They are slowly settling. I have some tools and a tire back there for weight.

WheelinJR said:
get out there and flex that slut out a bunch! my springs stood tall and rode stiff for about 6 months...then i got em out there and started workin the suspension and it settled down and got soft as could be.

with my 5.5 the same thing happened. After the first weekend i wheeled it, the ride became perfect!...no stiffness what so ever. and im lucky. im at 5.5 with no vibes!....well, at 75 mph they kick in, but i dont push my jeep that hard.

I can confirm what you have been hearing. I pieced together a lift kit out of used parts and bought everything based on a 3.5in lift. I put the coils on first and a 3/4 poly spacer (Rusty's coils sagged quickly). I then put on a used pack of RE 1463 (3.5in leafs) with the stock shackles. I stepped back for the first time to look at it when I was done and it was way off. I got 5.5in of lift in the rear that settled down to 5in. I ended up putting in a 1 3/4 spacer on top of what I already had up front to level it up. I got them from a member on here, I believe that it was 90PioSport99 and that’s one of the reasons he decided to get rid of them. I have gotten use to it now and am glad that I went 5in the first time. Long arms are in the future. I have a 95’ and the only vibe I get is when I decelerate over 40 mph for a moment. I think it’s just my pinion angle more than anything.

Take a look at my install. You can see how much more lift I had in the rear before the spacer. Page 6 and 7.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557089775GviDXi?start=60

Thanks for the feed back. It makes sense that they will need to be flexed on to settle, but will I get driveshaft vibes at 5" of lift?

Chris

When all is said and done they will settle down to about 4" with the stock shackle. I got vibes even with a tc drop untill i got my sye but every xj is different with the vibes.

I have had my RE 3.5 on for over a year now and mine has settles to 5 inches. I have done everything everyone is saying here, ran with weight in the back, and all the other little tricks that are supposed to settle your springs. I towed my 3 four wheelers from Central PA to West Virginia and back in the begining of the year, and then pulled them all over PA for most of the rest of the year. I don't think mine are going to settle anymore than they already have. I can tell you that you are going to get, in not 5 inches of lift, very close to 5 inches.

Semper Fi said:
I have had my RE 3.5 on for over a year now and mine has settles to 5 inches. I have done everything everyone is saying here, ran with weight in the back, and all the other little tricks that are supposed to settle your springs. I towed my 3 four wheelers from Central PA to West Virginia and back in the begining of the year, and then pulled them all over PA for most of the rest of the year. I don't think mine are going to settle anymore than they already have. I can tell you that you are going to get, in not 5 inches of lift, very close to 5 inches.

are you running them with a stock shackle?

Each XJ is different when it comes to vibes. I had a 2" bb on my 99 for a while and got vibes at about 40 mph. I am currently running a RE 3.5 kit with a SYE and have no vibes. The RE kit set me up about 4.5" when first installed and after about a year on the vehicle; it has settled about a half an inch.

yes I am running stock shakles but I plan on putting boomerang shakles very soon. They are supposed to give another 1 to 1.5 of lift so when I put those on I will and spacers to the front to level it off. I have been told that they will also make it ride better.

Back