• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar

jeep/bronco

NAXJA Forum User
i know this has been covered numerous times on here i just wanted to reiterate on it a little bit DONT REMOVE THE FRONT SWAYBAR ON A DD
its scary. just driving its not that bad takes a few to get used to but you add in a 20 mph gust of wind and your removing your seat from where it should not be.
there are mixed opinions on this throughout this forum but with a stock height jeep with wore out springs it is not a good idea i dropped mine off at a shop this morning to have them put some pins in or something cause i did not want to drive back down the mountain without something there

jeep/bronco said:
but with a stock height jeep with wore out springs it is not a good idea

I believe the worn out springs are a worse idea than removing your front sway bar. I have been driving now for almost a year without a sway bar and I started driving 35 miles each way to work in September and have no soiled seats thus far. I would think the body roll would be much less in a stock height Jeep due to the lower center of gravity.
My .02

I've been DDing my 96 XJ with a 3" lift and either 31s or 32s for about 3.5 years now. I've had a set of JKS gen II quicker discos for over 5 years sitting in the toolbox, but I've never installed them, even on my lifted MJ, which I DDed without a swaybar (before I had the 96XJ). Never had any problems. I'm even locked, with an aussie. Yeah, sometimes the body sways a bit, but it's predictable and I'm used to it. On the highway when you're on the gas going around a curve, and you let off for a second, you have to under/over steer, but it's predictable and not enough to be an issue. I don't whip around on/off ramps at high speeds. I think it handles fine and wouldn't think about installing a swaybar.

I also have a 99XJ with 6" of lift, TnT longarm, and depending on the time of year either 35" BFG ATs or 36" TSLs. It does not have a swaybar. When my other jeep is down, this jeep serves as my DD. Sometimes I take it far away to wheel, but most of the time pretty local. I do get it up on the highway fairly often. There is only one section of road that I don't like driving and that's route 2 in Leominster, MA, because it's got tight downhill/uphill curves, and with the big jeep, the turns get a little hairy. However, if I slow down, I'm fine. Other than that I've never had a problem with it whipping down the highway at 75 mph.

Swaybars are for SWB jeeps!

When I was stock I would unbolt my sway bars and drive to and from off road locations (mostly freeway 65+ mph) and it was SCARY would get a side to side oscillation. I now have RE 5.5 lift and run no sway bars all the time (and it feels better!!!). The stock spring rates are too soft and combined with crappy shocks= not a good idea. Lift is believe it or not......way better/safer (feeling) regardless of CoG.

my jeep is lifted 5 inches and its more stable without the swaybar connected than it was stock and disconnected. I can tell the difference when im connected but its not dramatic enough to be a real issue

5" lift 33x10.5's and no swaybars at all. lots of city and highway driving with 70-80mph. no soiled seats here either.

unless your rearend comes around and you fishtail completely sideways almost 4 times. that almost soiled my seats. LOL

Back