• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from AX15, bad bearings?

600dollarxj

NAXJA Forum User
I get noises from my transmission when I'm in 4th and 5th. 4th is quieter and sometimes I can't hear it. But in 5th it pretty much always makes noise. To me it sounds like a bad bearing. It gets louder under load. Any ideas?

Also I have a 2wd AX15 that works perfect, could I swap shafts of gears between the two? bearings?

The other AX15 should interchange parts perfectly, as 4wd only adds the Transfer Case. Although the output shaft may be a bit different, but the bearings and such should be the same I would think.

mine does the same thing, it's likely the input bearing. FWIW I've put about 15K miles on mine with that ugly noise in there.

a 2wd and 4wd AX-15 are different in the back half, but the mainshaft is also different.

No sense in swapping in a used bearing, all that work to take it apart and press in bearings, it's worth it to pony up for new ones.

87manche said:
mine does the same thing, it's likely the input bearing. FWIW I've put about 15K miles on mine with that ugly noise in there.

a 2wd and 4wd AX-15 are different in the back half, but the mainshaft is also different.

No sense in swapping in a used bearing, all that work to take it apart and press in bearings, it's worth it to pony up for new ones.

The main shafts are different? Bummer.

The input bearing shouldnt be too hard to change should it? Would you even have to split the case apart?

I guess I dont really have to worry about it though, if yours made it 15k.

Back