• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel gauge sending unit question?

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what year fuel gauge sending units are compatible with the 96 XJ? Gas gauge is dead and I'm looking for a replacement before pulling the assembly.

Thanks.

LilTJ said:
Thanks Steve.
So, it looks like the assembly changed in the 97 models? I have the sending unit from another 96, but was hoping to find one out of a newer model if it would swap out.

Called the dealer yesterday and they only sell the complete assembly with fuel pump for $723. That ended my plans for a new one.

I just got a complete assembly from Autuzone over the weekend.$120.00.
They also had just the pump for $80.00.
I drive a 89 so your pumps alittle differant but I bet the prices are close.
Jim

correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to put a 97+ pump in a 96 tank?

If so, I don't think that will work because the 97+ has the pump in the top of the tank, while the 96 has it in the back. Also, on the 97+ the filter is also in the tank and it is easier for preventative maintenance to have it outside the tank for ease in changing.

Jess said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to put a 97+ pump in a 96 tank?

If so, I don't think that will work because the 97+ has the pump in the top of the tank, while the 96 has it in the back. Also, on the 97+ the filter is also in the tank and it is easier for preventative maintenance to have it outside the tank for ease in changing.

No, just wanted to find out what model years the fuel gauge sending unit would fit the 96. My fuel pump is fine, but the gas gauge is dead.

I wanted to get a newer sending unit if possible, but it looks like I'll put in my spare 96 sending unit and see if it fixes the problem.

Back