• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 vs. 97 speed sensor question

Graluc

NAXJA Forum User
I converted my '97 2wd XJ over to a 4wd with the tranny and transfer case out of a '92 XJ. Both of these were 5-speeds. I know the speed sensor changed with the switch to OBD-II. Will a '97 up speed sensor fit in my '92 transfer case? It's a 231.

Thanks!

I have OBDII on my 96 and it uses a speedo gear located in the t-case. I've got 31, 34 and now a 39 tooth gear for speed correction. To be honest i don't know if i even have a speed sensor as i've never had an issue in 10 years. i just change the gear. HTH

Graluc said:
I converted my '97 2wd XJ over to a 4wd with the tranny and transfer case out of a '92 XJ. Both of these were 5-speeds. I know the speed sensor changed with the switch to OBD-II. Will a '97 up speed sensor fit in my '92 transfer case? It's a 231.

Thanks!

I am not sure where the speed sensor was located in a 2wd,or how it worked.But a speed sensor for the electronic speedos and 231 cases all work the same and will fit,You need the correct drive gear for your tire/gear ratio combo so the speedo will be correct.
Wayne

Back