• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle question----any good?

Thread will not let me in to view the product

If its the style that use a "hairpin" clip,they can spread open on a side pull,not recommended.

Sorry about the link. It is a hair pin type. Here is a pic. I had to get it hosted.

CLEVIS.jpg

Not safe, only use a screw type D ring clevis. Never ever use a tow strap with hooks on the ends either.

If it does break or come off,.....

Could hurt body or vehicle pretty baaaad.

alexer03 said:
why not? just cuz it will break? ive heard this but never understood it

How about this for a theory. Imagine the thing turning 90 degrees, nothing is against the pin, just on the black part. The u could spread out, shear the weak codder pin and the whole thing comes apart.

Tim_MN said:
Never ever use a tow strap with hooks on the ends either
alexer03 said:
why not? just cuz it will break? ive heard this but never understood it
If a strap with a loop on the end drops off a tow hook during a recovery it will only travel so far. If a strap with a steel hook on the end comes loose it will travel a long ways and it is just like a giant bullet or cannon ball, it will go through anything or anybody in its way.

I was just going through my catalogs at work (NAPA) and found that. I could get them pretty cheap, but I think I'll skip it. Thanks for the info guys. I already have a strap with no hooks. :D

Yeah, straps with hooks are a no-no.....because most of those straps with with the hooks are made in China and the hook ends where the strap attaches is SO THIN!

But the D rings with the pins......never heard of an issue. But I could see problems arising when a side pull comes into play.

just don't hook the hook, tie the whole thing around your bumper and tie it in a not :)

You mean use the hook to reattach back to the strap?

The hook is still waiting to be projected at somebody's brain box.

And likely the bumper too if you tied it around it. Well, if it's a stock bumper anyway...

I heard the scew type are the best. Another question, I was in the woods pulling out a rubicon and the guy with me said my pintle reciever with a ball is no good and can break compared to a screw type shackle. Is this true or is he full of Sh#t. He was a bit anoying that day and when I came home I looked at the ball and hook and it is rated at 20k pounds. I think that would be a lot stronger than any shackle. I use this thing to move dumpsters at work and never had a problem. Is there anything wrong with pintle style recievers?

What do you mean?

Never wrap a strap around a hitch receiver ball.

If anything remove the ball and put a D ring through the receiver insert. That's what I did. Works.

Back