• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front output transfer yoke and driveshaft

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
As you might have guessed. We are changing the front vacumn disconnect axle on my son's 1988 jeep cherokee over to a one piece axle.

I understand that there is the possiblity that with his lift kit, this converson may or may not cause high speed vibrations because of the driveline angle.

I also understand that you can replace the front output transfer yoke and front drive shaft with one from a 1997 or new, XJ or TJ to elimanate the vibration problems.

I thought rather and waiting to see if he does end up with a vibration, we'd go ahead and chase down the new yoke and drive shaft, and just do it.

Not looking forward to laying on the ground in the middle of winter at the junk yard, not really knowing what I'm looking for, so I was wondering if anyone had done this converson and might have a picture they could post of the before and after on the front drive shaft and yoke. Or even if someone happens to have a picture, so I can see what a 1997 or newer looks like, so I know what to look for while I'm searching the local junk yard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is a suggestion before you go to the trouble. If you are going to do the solid axle conversion, call Rusty's off-road and get the coverplate and the right axle seal for the pumpkin. Once you have the coverplate, remove the disconnect motor and engage the axle by sliding the collar to the left. Use a hose clamp to keep it engaged, and close it up with the coverplate.

If you are getting a vibration from the driveshaft constantly spinning, you need your driveshaft rebuilt. This is about $140 for them to replace the centering yoke and u-joints.

thanks for the suggestion

thought about just locking the two pieces and going that way. Already have the one piece axle and going to put in new oil seals and cover up the disconnect hole.

I had heard that since the front shaft will constanely be turning without the disconnect, and because of the lift and driveshaft angle, it could cause a vibration. The 1997 and new drive shaft is a double carnagin (sp) ujoint that supposeable compensates for the driveshaft angle.

I guess I'll just have to hit the junk yards and find a 1997 and new , crawl under and pull everything and hope it fits.

Thanks again

I have an 88' with a 6" lift and the stock driveshaft works perfectly fine. I suggest not trying to anticipate problems. My 88' has a double cardin driveshaft and your should also?

Broken XJ

Thanks for the heads up. Acutally you are right! Got under the 88 last night and noticed that it already has the double carnagan front drive shaft. Doesn't appear like putting a set up off a newer cherokee would do anything, it appears to be the same anyway.

Like you suggested, guess we'll just wait and see, but it doesn't sound like anyone else has had any problems front drive line vibes, with a medium lift on an older cherokee.

Back