• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

uca bushings hell + knock sensor question

xjjk

NAXJA Forum User
holy shit!!!!!! I just spent an entire weekend under the new toy on two freaking upper control arm bushings. Is there a membership I can join after surviving this ordeal? I'm sore in places I didn't know I had. :bawl::bawl:

On a good note I took care of a stuck window, found a cd player for 25 bucks at my neighbors yard sale (his garage puked electronics all over his lawn), and replaced a bad master cylinder.

Anyway, I think I fukked up the plug on the knock sensor because it's loose. I wrapped a bunch of elec tape to hold it in place but I'm wondering if there's a way to test it since I'm not even sure I put it back on the right way; any 'idiot proofing' connector shape was lost when it busted off. Will a malfunction show up if I take it to the zone to be tested? I've only worked on and FSJ up until now, so this newfangled computerized stuff has me unsure of stuff. It did seem to idle rough upon startup, like a misfire or some shit going on in there.

what year?

knock sensor only came on 87-90 and you cant take it to the zone to have codes read. unless the xj is running poorly, you may not even need the knock sensor.

it's an 87. It seemed to be idling rough after wards but I've not driven it much yet so it could just be the oil seeping past the valve seals causing the roughness because it blew oil smoke out the tailpipe after running it ... and it hasn't done that before.

testing the knock sensor isn't exactly scientific.
start up the motor, then crawl under there and tap the block right next to the sensor with a ahammer. You should hear the motor stumble as the ECU retards the timing.

if it's not working you can run without it, but if something happens and the motor starts detonating the ECM won't know it and you'll likely do damage to the motor.

A new one was about $60 when I replaced mine.

bassthumb said:
I like that kinda science! thanks for the tip.
technically there's a proper test, but most people aren't going to have an analog meter around to do it. So hitting the side of the block with a hammer tends to work well. Just don't get burnt on the manifold, because it's right there.

with all the cuts and scrapes and bruises you wouldn't be able to see a burn. lol

The bushings were totally destroyed when I went to remove them.... and one side the metal joined the axle to where I couldn't see the edge to press it out and needed an air chisel. Then they wouldn't go back in... arrrgh!

Back