• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Desert Racing Fan

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
My wife and I are planning on camping and Jeeping each of the Mohave Desert Racing series in '08.

http://www.mdrracing.com/links/2008-schedule.html

We had fun at a few in '07 and want to invite other NAXJA folks to join us in '08. There are 7 races next year in Lucerne, Barstow, and Ridgecrest. I was a desert racer for 4o years and am really enjoying just going out, camping and trailing around the race course folding lounge chair in hand enjoying both the 4x4ing and relaxing. It was so strange to get up on a race morning and being relaxed without the huge adrenalin surge.
I have 2 friends who are running the season this year so that makes it even more fun.

jeeperjohn said:
Sounds like fun! Be sure to post details of the races as they approach.

Yes I will and the link should take you to the schedule for '08. They post GPS waypoints for the whole race for the crews to prerun and it makes it more fun because I can load them in my GPS and then wander all around during the race without getting on the course. Feb 2nd is Barstow and they usually pit at the Offramp right before that discount shopping mall. They have contingency at the mall and it is nice to have an In N Out right next to the race. Double Double with grilled onions Animal style anyone?

I am there Gregg! Typically at all the Jeepspeed ones for absolute sure!!

FYI;Jeepspeed is not running any MDR races next season. We are running two MORE races and three BITD races. The official schedule is on the JS site

Last edited:
well, im game, when the time comes around let eveyone know...im dig into the desert racing, considering im in 29 palms im really much for going fast through the desert...

tgregg said:
My wife and I are planning on camping and Jeeping each of the Mohave Desert Racing series in '08.

http://www.mdrracing.com/links/2008-schedule.html

We had fun at a few in '07 and want to invite other NAXJA folks to join us in '08. There are 7 races next year in Lucerne, Barstow, and Ridgecrest. I was a desert racer for 4o years and am really enjoying just going out, camping and trailing around the race course folding lounge chair in hand enjoying both the 4x4ing and relaxing. It was so strange to get up on a race morning and being relaxed without the huge adrenalin surge.
I have 2 friends who are running the season this year so that makes it even more fun.

Post um up I like to do those races as well........SANTA

The departure from MDR has to do with several issues but It mainly has to do with JS drivers feeling like the organization doesn't have enough support to run a safe race. Unfortunately in the last few years the volunteers have dwindled. At some races last season there just were not enough people manning road crossings. Like i said this is just one issue I would have to spend all day explaining all of it, this subject took up a lot of time in the annual JS meeting. I don't personal believe MDR is as bad as some people think it is and the lack of people can be fixed if some of the people that complain about the lack of man power would volunteer there time in stead. Maybe this would be a good thing for NAXJA to get involved with

NRT_Chris said:
The departure from MDR has to do with several issues but It mainly has to do with JS drivers feeling like the organization doesn't have enough support to run a safe race. Unfortunately in the last few years the volunteers have dwindled. At some races last season there just were not enough people manning road crossings. Like i said this is just one issue I would have to spend all day explaining all of it, this subject took up a lot of time in the annual JS meeting. I don't personal believe MDR is as bad as some people think it is and the lack of people can be fixed if some of the people that complain about the lack of man power would volunteer there time in stead. Maybe this would be a good thing for NAXJA to get involved with

Yes I agree with JS assessment of MDR. I worked one race and it was not a good experience. But as a spectator they are close and fun to watch. Being used to D37 motorcycle racing with lots of club members and Rescue 3 I was under whelmed by MDR. But that is where my friends are racing and I'll be there and give them good chase support.

Back