• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swapping

ksmithers88

NAXJA Forum User
so my new xj has the baby 2.5L I4, and once i get a few paychecks built up, i'll be on the market for a crate engine. My question is this:

If i go with the jeep 4.0 (or 4.7 stroker) what will i need to purchase in addition to the actual engine to make sure all the pieces fit? I've seen sites advertising "rebuilt" and "replacement" 4.0's, but do i need to have had the I6 originally for these? I'm pretty much set on this engine, as they are bulletproof and run a damn long time.

Also, does the 2000 base model with the I4 have the np231 tc?

ksmithers88 said:
so my new xj has the baby 2.5L I4, and once i get a few paychecks built up, i'll be on the market for a crate engine. My question is this:

If i go with the jeep 4.0 (or 4.7 stroker) what will i need to purchase in addition to the actual engine to make sure all the pieces fit? I've seen sites advertising "rebuilt" and "replacement" 4.0's, but do i need to have had the I6 originally for these? I'm pretty much set on this engine, as they are bulletproof and run a damn long time.

Also, does the 2000 base model with the I4 have the np231 tc?
I'll go off the guess that this is the 2000 since that's what you mention at the bottom of your paragraph. You will need the complete engine wiring harness and PCM from a 97+ XJ that had a 4.0L. You can use a rebuilt 4.0L just fine, I would request one from a 96-99 model year though if you're going that route, I think the vin is "S". You're correct in the fact that they're bulletproof and for that reason I would get one from a 97-99 XJ at a junkyard if you can find one. Often times there are still low mileage units out there. Your 2000 2.5L would probably have an NV-231 yes. Coincidentally, if you do this swap, could I buy your 4 cylinder engine wiring off of you if you do truly have a 97+ 2.5L?

PCM - Powertrain Control Module - the engine computer basically....

JNickel101 said:
PCM - Powertrain Control Module - the engine computer basically....
Not cheap unless you find a JY one. Several hunnerd clams, but can't do the swap w/o it.

Back