• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Total newbie questions

jeepjones

NAXJA Forum User
I realize that you guys have probably answered questions like these many times over, for this reason I will try to keep it as short as possible. All I really need to know is: what year XJ is the best suited for offroad use, do I have to do any front axle upgrades to run 33" tires. I'm thinking of buying a 2 door sport model. What are the Chrysler rear ends like compared to Dana 35's or 40's.

As equipped from the factory the XJ is one of the most capable off road vehicles ever produced. You best approach is to buy it, put a good set of LT235 BFG AT/KO's on it, gas tank skid, rocker skids, transfer case skid, tow points front and rear then go from there. A note on tow points, the XJ has a uniframe, it's not very thick like a TJ or YJ, it needs special adapters that go inside or alongside the frame, inside for the rear, along the frame for the front, the hooks attach to those adapters. If you were to bolt hooks to an XJ frame you would rip them out the first time you used them.
Alternatives: Rear tow point, Tomken rear bumper with built in 2" receiver, you still need the adapters that go inside the frame rails, same with a tow hitch, both will work equally well except the tomken bumper won't dent :D
Front tow point, factory adapter plates and a set of hooks, front bumper with D ring tabs, several make adapter plates, just do a search on 'front bumpers' and 'rear bumpers'
Rocker skids go under the doors and keep your rocker panels intact, they bolt to the frame rails and the pinch seam under the rockers, you can slide over rocks.
The rockier the area the more important armor becomes. Also consider a oil pan skid plate.

33" tires are going to require a lift kit, 4 inches and maybe some fender trimming.

I'm not going to directly answer those questions because that is probably one of the easiest questions to have answered if you search. When you say "best suited for offroad use"...that means nothing. You are basically asking us "what should I buy" and that's it.

Search for: Dana 30 HP (high pinion), and Dana 30 LP (low pinion) to gain an understanding of what the difference is and why it's important. Find out what years the Dana 30 HP came in.

Then search for: Dana 35, Chrysler 8.25, Dana 44

By searching those, you'll find the information needed for you to make a good decision. We would have to ask you a million questions and this thread would be 5 pages long by the end of the day if we were to give you a good answer. I'm not trying to be mean at all, it's just that you'll be better off reading for yourself, and from that, gauging what's best for YOUR personal needs. Also, know your budget.

Good luck! If you have any questions after searching, let us know.

To run 33's..... Buy a '91 to '99 with the NP231 T-case, The AW-4 automatic, and the Chrysler 8.25 rear end.

The Dana 35 sucks if pushed hard. I would say a '99 without ABS or Full-Time t-case would be the best.

Any XJ that fits your budget will be awesome.

Back