• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New here! need some info

solditforajeep

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my 4th vehicle and first jeep, its a 98 limited. What are some good links and catalogs to look for aftermarket parts for the XJ.

AC doesnt work, I tried a recharge kit but the compressor still doesnt turn on after one can, what is the most likely problem, compressor or condenser maybe? Should I just bring it somewhere when the time comes and I have money for it.

Are there any replacement headlights that are better than stock, last night they didnt seem to put out much light and thats with fogs. I dont need any type of HID conversion but just something better like silverstars but I dont know if they make a system for the jeep.

Its got 112,000 and the rear end bearings seem shot, can I just got get a kit from carquest and it will have everything I need. Im going to have someone I know do the work, also how long can I ride with them whoosing back there before something may leave me stranded. Ive owned an s10, dodge stratus, and an svt focus before this so 4wd is new to me.
thanks

AC: Search low pressure switch here on the forums, if it's shorted/damaged it will not let the compressor turn on.
Lights:
Upgrade the light harness at the very least, maybe even got with some h4 bulbs and housings.
www.bigoffroad.com has a package for the whole thing.
XJ_ranger installed it, he had a writeup on his website, but I can't find it. Might want to search for bigoffroad under his user name.
You do know where the search function is right?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php
It's your best friend as a new jeep owner.
Welcome to NAXJA.

thanks, i'll look into those lights and yes I know all about searching, im a part of other forums for jetskiing and and my ol focus.

What is the easiest way to connect a tow strap to the front if i were to need it, can I go around the front axle or do I need some hooks that mount under the bumper, I ordered a hitch for the rear so im sure I can wrap that around to pull anything out right?

One more thing I want answered, im going to be pulling a 18 foot sea-doo boat, its not very heavy but I dont want the back to sag much so it my easiest way to prevent that is just adding a stiffer leaf to the pack? Right now the leaf springs are practically straight across with no upward bend.

sounds like you've got sagged rear leaf packs.
It's pretty common.
Replaced them with Stock HD units, or if you want some lift you can go new leaf packs, or an s-10 bastard pack.
Seach $11 bastard pack in modified tech for that.
Recovery points are a must, you'll have to get at least hooks for the front. The sheetmetal is to thin to bolt anything too, so you have to get something made for the XJ so you don't just pull the hooks out of the unibody.
There's a few venders on here that can hook that up, or you can go and pull some factory ones out of a junkyard. if you get factory ones make sure you get all the pieces, it's a 2 piece bracket job.
You can use the hitch, just order up a shackle receiver mount, that's what most of the fellas do unless they've got an aftermarket bumper.
How much does the boat+trailer weigh? XJ's are limited to 5K pounds towing, and the brakes are barely adequate for that.

A/C issue first, get the system evacuated and refilled with R134 with dye. Once it starts running use a black light to locate the leaks. Known issue and it's a big one is the evaporator in the heater box behind the dash, $200 part, 8 hours of labor if you know what you are doing, 16 if you don't, the entire dash has to come out to remove the heater box.
As for tow points, several options, factory style tow hooks that require brackets to replace the current front bumper brackets, they are longer and attach to the frame rails in 4 or 5 places for strength, a set of hooks will attach to that. Second choice is a front bumper with shackle brackets built in, most of those bumpers come with longer mounting brackets. Third choice is a front receiver which you can put a shackle insert into. My personal choice is front bumper, JCS, Custom4x4, ridigidco, etc. Just do a search on bumpers. Same choices for the rear. The frame rails on the XJ's are not strong enough to mount directly, for the rear there is a steel plate with nuts welded onto it that slips into the frame rails after you remove the rear bumper. Again several companies make rear bumpers with built in receivers and shackle mounts. I have a tomken on my 98 and it's worked well, those nutplates are also required for a gas tank skid plate too..

One of the big advantages of going the bumper route is if someone runs into you or you run ito someone else, much better protection from a real steel bumper than the thin tin they put on them stock..

Last edited:
I understand the dye issue with the AC but why wouldnt the compressor be turning on, the pressure seemed maxed on the gauge I was using with the kit so I didnt want to put any more r134 in there, ya I heard that job done by a good shop costs about 600 with the removing the dash and everything.

Beacuse with the leak there you have air in the system, I've been dealing with this for a couple of years now and was going to get it down last week but a customer who owes me a couple grand has been a bit slow in paying... If you evacuate the system, draw a vac and refill it will generally work for a couple of weeks then slowly start to die again. If I didnt' have access to a snapon machine for the last 3 years I would now know this, I've drawn the system down, vac'd it for 30 min and refilled, works for a while then leaks out, sometimes I can get away with just topping it off with a small can, that usually works about 3 times.

quick questions to bring this back to life. If I dont have tow hooks in the front is there anywhere I can hook a strap to safely, lower control arm or front axle. I actually had to today cuz I got stuck launching my jetski in soft sand so I hooked it to the axle no problems but I could see if the rope was pulling up it could bend the bars in the front of it right, what are they like tie rod steering bar? What are the cheapest hooks I can buy?

I got a hitch for the jeep but its 1 1/4 and they dont make any type of hook or clevis to go in the receiever. If I have someone cut me some steal and drill a hole or bolt on a hook should I be okay for light towing if I HAD to or just for randomly pulling something.

for 4 low or part time 4 wl to engage how much wheel spin should there be before and after engaing in or out?

Hah, so this jeep is my first 4 wheel vehicle ive owned and I thought it could go through alot which I bet it can but definately didnt know sugar sand at a beach would consume the whole thing. I let out quite a bit of air which I think helped but still I was burried up to the axles. I know im a newbie. thanks in advance

one more, if someone said my rear end bearings are going which i can tell they are making a whooshig noise back there, say I wait till later in fall to get it done, could there be a major problem or do they just get worse. I dont want to have to end up replacing more than what is needed right now. What should parts cost b/c I have a friend that will do it for much cheaper than any shop and hes a big jeep guy.

Last edited:
Back