• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting rid of the vacumn disconnect

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1988 cherokee with the front vacumn disconnect. I know I read one time about someone taking the two piece axle out of the passenger side and replacing it with a one piece axle.

The axle out of what jeep will replace it?
Will the same u-joint work on the out side hub?
There is a oil seal on the outside of the vacumn disconnect - do you leave that or replace it with a different seal, or what about a bearing?
How does the one piece axle affect how the jeep drives in two wheel and 4 wheel?

Looked in the search, I know I read about it before, just can't find it now. Anyone have a write up, maybe with pictures, since my mechanic skills are limited :confused1

Having problems with the outside oil seal on the two piece axle, about to call it quits and put in a one piece.

Thanks

MY FIRST XJ WAS AN 87" WHITH A VACUMN. ALL I DID IS TAKE AN AXLE OUT OF A MID 90'S.I THINK 92'.MADE SURE IT WAS 27 SPLINE AND SLIP IT IN.THEN CUT A PIECE OF 1/4" PLATE STEEL TO FIT OVER THE DISCONNECT.RIP THE OLD UNIT OUT DID AWAY WITH IT.PUT THE STEEL OVER THE NOW ONE PIECE AXLE WHITH RTV OF COURSE. NO REAL DIFF. ON ROAD THINK IT MIGHT WEAR ON R/P A LITTLE MORE NOT A GOOD IDEA TO RUN AUSSIE/LOCKRIGHT ECT..... LOCKER.

boomer1 said:
Have a 1988 cherokee with the front vacumn disconnect. I know I read one time about someone taking the two piece axle out of the passenger side and replacing it with a one piece axle.

The axle out of what jeep will replace it?
Will the same u-joint work on the out side hub?
There is a oil seal on the outside of the vacumn disconnect - do you leave that or replace it with a different seal, or what about a bearing?
How does the one piece axle affect how the jeep drives in two wheel and 4 wheel?

Looked in the search, I know I read about it before, just can't find it now. Anyone have a write up, maybe with pictures, since my mechanic skills are limited :confused1

Having problems with the outside oil seal on the two piece axle, about to call it quits and put in a one piece.

Thanks

You could replace the shafts and block off where the shift fork is now, or you could convert to a cable disconnect, or you could replace the whole thing with a 91+ axle. My current build is an 87 and I have just purchased a non-disco axle to replace the old disco.
It all depends on how much work/money you want to put into it and what you plan to use your jeep for when its done.

if you're on a budget you could always do a washer lock.
pull the cover off the axle, remove the snap rings, and pull the shaft from the unit. move the fork to the inside (opposite the diaphragm) and fill the space to the outside w/ small OD 3/8" washers. replace the shaft and the large outer clip, and reinstall on the axle. not the strongest front axle, but not any weaker than what it is right now. you can also remove the vacuum lines if you wish, as they are no longer used.

Thanks for the suggestions

Just put different axles under it, with 4.56 gearing. Really looking at getting rid of the vacumn disconnect.

If I under stand this right, a newer one piece axle, 27 spline and I'm all set to go?

I think I might have the right axle, (need to go count the splines) so I should be able to take off the outside hub off the short axle, at the universal, and if I don't bugger up the ujoint, I can put the outside hub on the new axle and put it in. Of course, take off the vacumn assembly, plate it and cap the vacumn lines.

I was wonder how that would effect the street driving in snow? Or wheeling?

Thanks again

i dont know how good this is, but i got an axle for free that had a disconect on it but was missing the diaphram thingy, some one told me to slide the peice that connects the axles so it was engaged and put a few spot welds on it, it has been working for me for a few days. its just going to be a pain in the ass to pull the axle out, and its a realy cheesy red neck way of doing things:farmer:

thanks XJ

Was really wondering if when you replace the two piece with a one piece, if you can still use the same outside hub and ujoint from the two piece axle.

Then if you have to change the oil seal on the outside of the vacumn disco box?

Back