• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frozen axle?

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
This is for my 95 XJ that i recently purchased, i last drove the XJ this monday and it has been pretty cold for the past 6 days. I decided to take it for a drive today, I start the jeep put it in drive, but it does not move, put it in reverse, again it does not move, finally put it in 4L and it moved with a loud clunking sound from the rear end, can the axle tubes or the drum brakes freeze? It has never happened before, I may go and get the axle fluids changed this week. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Ravi

depends. this happens all the time on big rigs trailer drum brakes in cold weather. That's why they never apply the trailer brakes when they park overnight. The can freeze up.

parking brakes freeze!!!! my old 84 used to have that problem...

Agree with everyone else, rear brakes (I.E.drums). If you applied your parking brake when you last parked, I'd agree that's what caused the problem. If you didn't applied the E-brake, then I'd bet your drums are way out of round, a comple brake job may be in order.

X3 on the rear brakes freezing up. Mine did it the other day, I drove thru a slush puddle pulling in my driveway, got well below freezing that night.

Last edited:
Ya, definitely sounds like something was frozen then unfroze. After a very cold trail run back in january in which there was water on the trail, everytime I let the Jeep sit for more then 10 mins or so, I would have to gas it a litle and I would hear a crack from everything unfreezing.

heh, I yanked the ebrake in a panic stop during winter one time and the blasted thing didn't release all the way. The next 5 miles felt like I was pulling a trailer!

Mine does that after wet snow and cold nights, almost feels like the tires froze to the ground, It'll make the same noise if i hit a bump first thing as well,just the cold

i'm surprised that nobody is suggesting to check the diff fluid. if you just bought it recently and haven't done what i like to call "new purchased car maintenance" (which is checking/replacing ALL fluids and inspecting breaks, lights, etc..etc..), then there is also a posibility that you could have water in the rear diff. that would be a bad thing.

Back