• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange clunk..

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I get this strange clunk on the passenger front side of my '94 XJ sport when I either: A: hit a bump B: stomp on the brakes C: am in 4 low or high and put a load on the front(like trying to climb a rock). I've gone through just about everything and to no avail can not figure it out. I put new axle u-joints in about a year ago, and there's no play in them now. It's almost like something is shifting. Bad control arm building? Bushing? Somebody please help...

TIA guys...

Its safe to say theres something loose. Jack your rig up and start checking for anything loose.

track bar is loose. Tighten both ends and make sure the holes it bolts through are still round (not oval---showing wear from loose bolt)

Upper Control Arm bushings I'm guessing, right? A lil up date: I had to pull a buddy's TJ out of the snow today. I was in the dirt pulling in 4lo and it clunked. After that though it would pull and spin no problem. I did also notice that when getting on it through snow or mud that the front pass. side does hop quite a bit. I'm hoping that it would be either the UCA or LCA... What do you guys think?

Mine does the excact same thing. I just replaced the lower arms, shocks, disconnects and trackbar, so I'm sure its the upper arms. With over 200K it doesn't surprise me but it is loud so I need to deal with it asap.

Back