• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange grinding/banging when braking. Help!

mjd99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is a weird one guys. Ive had the xj for maybe 3 winters now and i cant figure this out. I think i remember it doing the same thing stock, so i dont believe its the mods (aussie in the D30, 3.5 superflex front suspension, jks discos). When braking in the snow, if the front tires lock and slide at all (non ABS) I get a nasty grinding/banging/shudder from the front end. It seems to happen if the road is a bit rough under the snow? Ive checked my control arm bushings, new ujoints, everything seems ok. Is this just normal when a locked tire hits something w traction? Sounds like hell. Any help would be appreciated

They are the stock lines, they seem plenty long- even measuring for shocks with swaybar unhooked they werent really tight. Cant see how that would make any noise...

I don't see how brake lines will cause a banging noise! That just don't make sense. If all your bushings are good, I'd maybe take a look at the wheel/unit bearings maybe one of them are going out?

I have no idea why but when i put my first 3" on my xj it did the same thing all i did was unbolt my brake lines from the body and it went away? so just from personal experence it's worth a shot.

Ill try it, guess it cant hurt. I checked the bearings out late summer when i did new axle joints- seemed fine. Its pretty confusing. Maybe ill borrow a friends and see if it does the same thing. Anyone else have any ideas?

Ok this is a real evil sound. Is there a chance that the front DS (while in 2hi) could still make the chain jump in the transfer case? It sounds that loud. Im going to pull the front shaft any drive it to see if it goes away, as soon as it stops sleeting and blizzarding here.

I am about 100% positive it is your aussie locker. I have a lock right "same thing" and if it is real slippery and you get on the brakes one tire might lock up before the other one does. If this happens the locker has to unlock under load and it can make some nasty bang bang bang bang sounds that you can hear loud and feel. I bet if you put yourself in a real icy spot and got on the brakes softly it would bang like you mentioned. Put yourself in the same situation away from hitting anyone or thing and get on the brakes real hard real fast, I bet the tires will just lock up and you won't hear a thing. That is what it is

Hmm, in that case nothing i can do about that right? Will this damage anything? I was thinking about this hard and thought it did it last winter before i put aussie in but am not sure.

I don't know what can be done about it or if it is real bad for the locker. My guess is it is not good, I lost 1 lockright but I don't know what caused it.

Back