• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to do about exhaust...

harwood39

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so last night while screwin around in the snow, my exhaust got ripped off. What should i do? Just run a muffler and a turndown before the muffler? or spend the money on a full catback?? Also my cat is shot, doesnt rattle anymore cause there is nothing in it. Replace it or run an o2 sim?? Only part that got ripped off was cat back. Right at the muffler/cat joint. The weld on the muffler decided to fail...

well thats basically what happened with my xj. and my cat was shot as well, lots of banging and clanking cause the "honeycomb" was loose. so i cut off the cat and just ran a new piece of exhaust from where i cut the cat off, to the new dynomax cat back i just installed. i have gone wheeling with it since being put on, and it worked very well. if you dont have to worry about emissions, i got plates that i dont have to worry about it, then trash the cat and just run a muffler.

its not so easy just to remove the cat on a 98 tho. Your 94 doesnt have an O2 sensor in the cat. I need an O2 simulator to do that. Which i am debating on doing or not.

oh my bad i had no idea you had the sensor after the cat. yeah not so easy for you i guess. and whats this O2 simulator that you speak of? is it something to put in place of the sensor or something that plugs into the computer to trick it into thinking there is a sensor there?

ya, it is a resistor that simulates an O2 sensor that plugs into the harness in place of the O2 to trick the computer. Summit and Jegs sell them. I think they are only like 25 bucks if i remember right.

I dont myself, but two other local guys. On with a 97 and one with a 99 run both of there O2 sensors still and no cat. They have no issues at all.

Did they just put a bung in the pipe for the 02 sensor?? now that it is all off and the honeycome isnt stuck in the pipe, it has no back pressure and my CEL hasnt come back(batteries died as i left the lights on all day resetting it) so im guessing it should be ok.

Back