• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock size "codes"

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
The link below is to one in a series of webpages on basic XJ mods. Go about two thirds down and there are a couple of charts of shock lengths appropriate for various lift heights.

Does anyone know what the four character codes beginning with an "X" refer too, or what they designate, or what their significance is? I just don't seem to be able to find out what they mean. :dunno:

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp2.html

X means pre-fix,example I run 99256's but I could run the same deminsion shock in another version such as 95256.

RCP Phx said:
X means pre-fix,example I run 99256's but I could run the same deminsion shock in another version such as 95256.

Hmm, due to my own denseness, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that 99256 and 95256 are the same length shock by the same manufacturer but with different stiffness/softness? How would one of those "X numbers" designate a particular version of a shock, as you describe it?

I believe he is giving you Rancho stock numbers where the first number denotes what product line the shock is from.

A Rancho 5000 shock numbered 5012 will have the same extended and compressed specifications as a 9012. However, one will be a 5000 series shock and the other will be a 9000 series.

The first digit indicates the product line, the remaining three digits indicate the specific application.

John90XJ said:
I believe he is giving you Rancho stock numbers where the first number denotes what product line the shock is from.

A Rancho 5000 shock numbered 5012 will have the same extended and compressed specifications as a 9012. However, one will be a 5000 series shock and the other will be a 9000 series.

The first digit indicates the product line, the remaining three digits indicate the specific application.

Well, I've concluded that the easiest route for me to go with my 2 inch lift (completed) is just to use the recommended length shocks in the rocklizard budget boost article and extend my bumpstops to address the difference in compressed shock length between the stock shocks and the rockliz shocks.

Alternatively I may use bar pin eliminators to regain extensional travel in the stock shock, although I'm having a hard time visualizing the BPE reducing 1.25 inches or so of static shock length as described in the link I provided above. BPE's are a bit pricey for what they are and this was supposed to be a budget project. Besides, I've gotten by without them for my entire life......somehow.

Nominally, your front and rear shocks are compressed 12.5" and extended 20". The rears have less stroke than the fronts but it's not much of a difference.

The simple way to look at new shocks is to take the amount of budget boost you're installing and add it to your existing extended length of your shocks. For the front and rear you're at about 20" extended. For a 2" budget boost, try to find something that is 22-23" in extended length AND then also try not to go any shorter in compressed length than 12.5" plus your boost amount or 14.5".

Try some Ford Bronco applications from the 80's and you might get lucky.

John90XJ said:
Nominally, your front and rear shocks are compressed 12.5" and extended 20". The rears have less stroke than the fronts but it's not much of a difference.

The simple way to look at new shocks is to take the amount of budget boost you're installing and add it to your existing extended length of your shocks. For the front and rear you're at about 20" extended. For a 2" budget boost, try to find something that is 22-23" in extended length AND then also try not to go any shorter in compressed length than 12.5" plus your boost amount or 14.5".

Try some Ford Bronco applications from the 80's and you might get lucky.

What you're saying is in general agreement with the xj help link I cited above. As far as bumstop adjustment, would you simply increase bumpstop height by 2 inches to coincide with the 2 inch lift height? Or, if the new compressed shock length minus old compressed shock height is less than 2 inches, would you use that length as the proper bumpstop adjustment in the interest of maintaining maximum flex?

Honestly, if the shocks won't be over compressed or over extended, I wouldn't do anything with bumpstops if you're running tires that are 31" or smaller.

I did that when mine was lifted 2" and it was fine.

If you want to do it right, you want bumpstop length to stop the travel prior to full shock compression or tire rubbing on something you care about.

Last edited:
John90XJ said:
Honestly, if the shocks won't be over compressed or over extended, I wouldn't do anything with bumpstops if you're running tires that are 31" or smaller.

I did that when mine was lifted 2" and it was fine.

If you want to do it right, you want bumpstop length to stop the travel prior to full shock compression or tire rubbing on something you care about.

So, had you changed shock length when you did your 2 inch lift, or did you simply determine that no bumpstop modification was needed because you were maintaining stock shocks?

I already have a taller than stock bumpstop from quadratec, not yet installed. Its about 1.25 inches longer than stock, So I'll probably just put that on, especially if changing shock lengths doesn't really cause much concern over bumpstop height at 2 inches lift. Maybe a hockey puck in front.

I don't have access to a ramp so I'm trying to get by with common sense, arithmetic, and input from others.

I just calculated length based on how much I was lifting it.

As for a ramp, try a loading dock at a local warehouse. There is bound to be one nearby that has a grade to it. Do it on a Saturday or Sunday when there isn't any work traffic and bring a friend to help you. Once you get it ramped you can check that the bumps are engaging before the shock bottoms out or that the shock is not fully extended when the suspension is full droop.

Back