• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case fluid...conformation

ntrsvic

NAXJA Forum User
I need to change teh fluid in my 95 XJ with NP242 Select Trac transfer case.

Originally, I would have to use Dexron III, with the advent of ATF +4 , I can use both of these in my transfer case. And the consensus is I would be safer with Dexron III?

Thanks for your replies, I am just trying to get some clarity.

Yes, you have been using DIII with no problems. Why change it unless you are going to a synthetic?

you can use any tranny fluid in your transfer case....

however, for simplicity, you may as well just use DexIII...using ATF+4 wont give you any advantage, and you'll be sure not to have any of that crap sitting around where it could "accidentally" make its way into your AW4 someday...if you have an AW4....

Begster said:
Use Dexron III. Jeep manuals say use Dex III, I wouldn't use ATF4.

The WJs use ATF+4 in the Transfer case. It is supposed to be synthetic and better.
I used ATF+4 in my XJ 242, no problem.

ONLY DEXRON III IN THE AW4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!

Although Dexron or ATF will work fine in the transfer case, as it is just there as a lubricant......

Just thought I'd bold the other statement just incase you are changing that fluid out as well.

I run ATF in my 242 TC. No problems at all. You can run just about any lubricant in the transfer case as it is just used for lubrication. You don't need the additive packages that specific fluids provide. Dex III, ATF, it's all good in the TC.

Back