• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 ticking when unloaded

mikejwil

NAXJA Forum User
So... I'm new to the 5sp XJ world, and am not sure if this noise is normal. The transmission shifts fine, clutch action seems ok...no chatter, goes thru the gears smoothly. I have noticed a ticking sound when there is no load on the driveline (i.e. when clutch pedal depressed, or when tranny is neutral with clutch pedal released). The ticking increases with engine RPM. Definitely coming from the tranny. Anything I need to worry about?

Here's what I have: 99 XJ Sport 4x4, 4.0L, AX15, NP231, D30, C8.25

Thanks.

Well, i have the same question, 93 4.0 ax-15. I have the same bit of a ticking, if that makes you feel any better your not alone. Mine does seem to stop a bit if the clutch is depressed vs. being in netraul, but still, both times it does it. I have just ignored it thus far, but since you posted, well, i guess my question will be answered too. My friend went to school for auto mechanics and said it was fine, so I just put it to the back of my head, but it would be nice to hear that its normal from someone on here as well... or have someone diagnose the problem so i can laugh at my friend...

Sounds promising. I'm hoping that its normal. Just a bit paranoid about my new ride. Picked it up used with 95K on it. Will be changing the gear oil in a couple of weeks (picked up the Mopar 75W90 GL-3 yesterday). The last manual tranny I had was a 90 Nissan Sentra, and it had a ticking sound, but only when in neutral without the clutch depressed. Never a problem with it. I think the guy I sold it to has over 225K on it now.

It's the throw out bearing. If it ticks with the tranny in neutral and the clutch released, I wouldn't sweat it, but with it still ticking with the clutch depressed it's time for a new one, and that means a new clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel resurfacing at the same time.
It's not going to break tomorrow, but if it's so worn it's making noise with the pickle fork holding it, it's ready to be replaced.
My $.02.

don't resurface the flywheel.
The FSM says not to, it's a concave surface.
Resurfacing the flywheel usually results in problems.

DaffyXJ said:
It's the throw out bearing. If it ticks with the tranny in neutral and the clutch released, I wouldn't sweat it, but with it still ticking with the clutch depressed it's time for a new one, and that means a new clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel resurfacing at the same time.
It's not going to break tomorrow, but if it's so worn it's making noise with the pickle fork holding it, it's ready to be replaced.
My $.02.

Dang... How long do you think she has? What do I need to listen for before it goes? Will I hurt anything driving it with a bad throw-out bearing? It shifts fine, and makes no noise when in gear. Thanks.

Could be the input bearing(s)(there are two) in the transmission...because when you are in neutral with the clutch peddle out(clutch engaged) the input shafts spins in time with the flywheel and clutch then when you push the clutch in it slips and the input shaft stops spinning too have a noise while in neutral in my ax-15 and I think it's the input bearing(clutch and throwout are new)...either the ball bearing at the front of the input or the needle bearing in the middle of the main shaft......if I knew for sure that the throwout bearing only turns when you press the clutch in it would be alot easier to diagnose.(searched on here and other boards and know one can give me a definite answer)

Back