• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sucky day.

DrSockMonkey

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I was cruising down I-90 this afternoon and loud noises started eminating from the middle/rear of the XJ.:explosion I slowed down and pulled to the side of the road as it sounded like I would definitely need a tow. After stopping I put the jeep in park and started to get out, I thought maybe it was the chain in the transfer case. As soon as I let off the brake the jeep started to roll. I thought Driveline? But there wasn't nearly enough noise for that. :) I pulled the emergency brake just enough that it would stay still, but roll if I pushed it. I got out and looked underneath. Driveline looked ok. Rolled it about 6 inches forward. The wheels turned fine but the driveline did not. If I tried to put it into gear it didn't seem to want to turn the pinion, not sure though. The rear end is a D35 with 4.88 gears and a Lockright in it. So any ideas what happened? I will probably crack the cover tomorrow to see what's going on inside. It would be great if it was shafts since I have plenty of extras. But I think that is wishful thinking since cruising down the road without any stress.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Jeremy

after thinking about it for a minute it might just be the rear end. poppin the cover off sounds like the easiest diagnosis though.

Have your old lady jump in the driver seat and throw it in gear. Try 1st and reverse, just in case it's your tranny. Also try your linkage for your T case. Put in 4 hi to see if it'll move, yada yada. I've seen them pop out of gear randomly and it's something that could be easily overlooked. If the DS turns but the rear wheels do not, then you know it's your rear end. Typically you'll hear some lovely metal on metal contact. And you'll know then what to tear apart. Good luck boss! If it's your rear, I still have that 44 and a 35 if you need one.

(For the record, in what you described I'd vote gears or carrier in your hind side.) Who set up the gears for ya?

mud1059 said:
Have your old lady jump in the driver seat and throw it in gear. Try 1st and reverse, just in case it's your tranny. Also try your linkage for your T case. Put in 4 hi to see if it'll move, yada yada. I've seen them pop out of gear randomly and it's something that could be easily overlooked. If the DS turns but the rear wheels do not, then you know it's your rear end. Typically you'll hear some lovely metal on metal contact. And you'll know then what to tear apart. Good luck boss! If it's your rear, I still have that 44 and a 35 if you need one.

(For the record, in what you described I'd vote gears or carrier in your hind side.) Who set up the gears for ya?

This was a used axle so as-is... Pm me the cost on your D44, I need to do something for getting to work. I just don't see putting any more dollars into a D35.

Jeremy,
Put the back end up on jack stands and let us know what you find. As has been said before you should easily be able to narrow this down to driveshaft, rear axle, transfercase. From your description it sounds like the rear pinion to me, but the description is far from complete to make any real analysis.

If you jack up the rear wheels can you turn them by hand, both should turn together (due to the locker). Put it into gear and see what does and doesn't move.

Considering how good that axle was to me, this is a REALLY cheese way of it going out!!!

Michael

OK, so I put it up and turned one wheel. The other wheel didn't turn. It just made a clicking noise like the locker made before. The driveline also didn't turn. I turned the other wheel while the first wheel was spinning and the clicking stopped. I started up the jeep and put it in drive. now wheels turning but more clicking. Could this be the locker failed? That would be great since I have another locker. So now to the comic relief part of the story. I put the jeep in park and turn of the engine and lock it up. Then I lower the jack and proceed to chase it down my driveway. Thankfully I had the keys in my hand and got it stopped before the street. So any ideas on what's with all the clicking?

Jeremy

2xtreme said:
Jeremy,
Put the back end up on jack stands and let us know what you find. As has been said before you should easily be able to narrow this down to driveshaft, rear axle, transfercase. From your description it sounds like the rear pinion to me, but the description is far from complete to make any real analysis.

If you jack up the rear wheels can you turn them by hand, both should turn together (due to the locker). Put it into gear and see what does and doesn't move.

Considering how good that axle was to me, this is a REALLY cheese way of it going out!!!

Michael

Auto lockers usually have a mild click when you turn the wheels by hand like that.

Pop the diff cover and inspect. If you have an SYE, pull the rear shaft and try to drive it around in FWD if it is still making noises, you should easily be able to diagnose the problem from there.

just pop the cover, its only a hand full of bolts, probally took longer to get the jack and stands than it would to pop the cover!!!!

I agree, pop the cover and take a look.
It doesn't sound like either shaft or locker to me.

If it was in gear or Park when you let it off the stands and it rolled on it's own then it sounds like something either more like the pinion, driveshaft, or transfer case to me. what happens when you put it in drive on the stands?

Michael

I would have popped the cover except I have been sick with a major sinus infection and didn't want to prolong it. When I put it in drive the drive shaft spun but the wheels did not only clicking. I will see about inspecting tomorrow and take pictures of all the pieces I retrieve. Thanks to all for opinions and advice.

Jeremy

DrSockMonkey said:
I would have popped the cover except I have been sick with a major sinus infection and didn't want to prolong it. When I put it in drive the drive shaft spun but the wheels did not only clicking. I will see about inspecting tomorrow and take pictures of all the pieces I retrieve. Thanks to all for opinions and advice.

Jeremy

My guess is the pinion.
Michael

OK, my lovely wife was kind enough to remove the cover since I got a tooth pulled and am out of commision. The good news is the gears seem ok! The pin from the locker slid out and grenaded the carrier. Thankfully I have another locker sitting around, now I just need a new carrier. Any body got one lying around for 4.88 for a D35 c clip? Also anybody familiar with gears that could help "read the pattern to see if there need to be any adjustments after the carrier change?

Thanks for all the help and advice,
Jeremy

Pics
Locker Pin bent and in 2 pieces plus a bit of carrier
71dtyls.jpg

Broken side of carrier
82mptw3.jpg

Jeremy

Back