• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No lift and 35s build (story)

flexcj5

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a free XJ 3 months ago. 1984 hadn't run in 6yrs left in a field (you know the story) Any way after picking it up and cleaning everything off i discovered that the vehicle i thought i was gonna sell for parts would be better used as a tril rig while i finish my buggy build. Turns out that just before it was parked the owner installed a brand new jasper engines 151 ci and a new auto tranny. It was parked because 3 months after all the new stuff was put in the steering box blew and they left it where it sat! LOL

$25 and a new steering box later i have a perfectly good XJ!

I am putting alloys, 4.56s and a locrite in the d30 and an isuzu d44 4.56 and spool,linked with airshocks in the rear. Started cutting today while the axles are being built and its sitting on the stock stuff still. I thought i was gonna have to lift at least 3" but 35s seem to fit with the right amount of cutting :cool: (pics to come)

Now i just gotta figure out how im gonna link the rear w/ 18" airshox and no lift?? Any ideas?

welcome noob.

sounds like you have a quality beater!
the 4cy will get you dirty, and roll fine.
and the 35's will break that axle like it was aluminum grade steel.
like this click ... lock... snap (^(*&%^%$%^$%%$#

but have fun with it!

for the shocks, cut holes in the floor, and build a tower out of tube for them.
search here for through the floor shocks.

and most of all
have fun!

yeah i know the d30 is weak but with my buggy and my cj ill just beat on the xj like it is. 4cyl shouldn't snap too much. This is my second xj buld the first one lasted about a month. im gonna do this one a lot different.

1st one!!
normal_19.jpg

normal_DSCF1159.JPG

finished all my cutting today and i have the clearance and about 2" of up travel. my turning is limited though so ill have to "adjust" the inner fenders or go to a 2" lift.

normal_DSCF0227.JPG

normal_DSCF0228.JPG

normal_DSCF0230.JPG

normal_DSCF0229.JPG

normal_DSCF0231.JPG

flexcj5 said:
finished all my cutting today and i have the clearance and about 2" of up travel. my turning is limited though so ill have to "adjust" the inner fenders or go to a 2" lift.

Looks good so far... but if that thing wants to go over a speedbump (let alone offroad) you're going to need some lift (among other things)! :rolleyes:

Nice looking jeep...its good to see someone that isn't doing the same thing as everyone else!

The bad about your jeep...
No flex=No traction offroad

If you add like a 2" BB(cheap)...trim a little more...bump stop like crazy...that jeep should be an alright trail beater

You could cut that front fender a lot more and trim the back a little more and weld in some sheet metal to fill the gap...it might just work.

itll flex. look at chris durhams tj on 40s. no lift, longarms all down travel and pivot (think solid axle). Ive done two tj builds with no lift and 35s and they work great. figured id try the same thing here.

flexcj5 said:
itll flex. look at chris durhams tj on 40s. no lift, longarms all down travel and pivot (think solid axle). Ive done two tj builds with no lift and 35s and they work great. figured id try the same thing here.

You can cut alot more, I think its too low for the wheel base.
My frist rev was 1tons 37s with a flat rear leaf pack and a 2in block. 2-4in lift. It sucked, my belly draged on every thing in the rocks.

Free + big tires + lots of trimming = cheeper than most and still a ton of fun.. I don't see what the problem is.

Its no competition crawler... but it's worth every bit of jeep its made of.

Looks great flexcj Have any close up pics on the cutting?

35's + stock height + good suspension = ungodly fast in the desert.

I'd flog that all day long.

muduck18 said:
Free + big tires + lots of trimming = cheeper than most and still a ton of fun.. I don't see what the problem is.

Its no competition crawler... but it's worth every bit of jeep its made of.

Looks great flexcj Have any close up pics on the cutting?

ill get some close ups this weekend. i just "adjusted" the inner fenders w/ a BFH and i can turn lock to lock at ride height. i think it will work.

Hey, Crash,
You mentioned desert runnin' which could be coupled with rock crawlin' stuff and have a "well rounded" rig, but iffin you were to do somethin like that what combo's would you use? XRRA stuff come to mind?

Back