• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wiper motor differences

Mudweiserjeep

NAXJA Forum User
What is the difference between a motor for '84- '90 and '91-'96 motors? Older one has 3 wires the newer has 4 wires. Did the newer one have an intermittent feature? Can I wire the newer to be used on my '87?

'84-'90

3975-56000701.jpg

'90-'96

3967-551553179196rearwipermotor.jpg

Yes, the newer one is intermittent, and the extra wires are to allow it to run constantly when the switch is in the wash position.

Looking at the 95 wiring diagram, it appears that the following connections occur:

#1, black = ground
#2, black/yellow = wash, which takes 12 v + from the switch, and also connects to the pump motor. This bypasses the internal intermittent module, and runs the motor directly.
#3, brown/red = run, 12 volts + from switch - according to the book, this is live for both wash and wipe.

#4, white = park, which should be 12 v+ with ignition on.

e.t.a. 8mud is a little quicker, I see!

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to choose the right wires....On the newer motor...is that a relay or is that the intermittent modual? On my 1987 the relay is mounted next to the motor in the door.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Pretty simple really when you sort out the functions of the circuits. One to get the motor going. One to park it (so if you turn it off, it always returns to the same spot). And a third circuit to turn on the wiper when you use the washer.

The fourth wire in the 96 motor is the washer function. In the early setups the washer function was handled at the relay. The post Renix models did away with the relay:

Last edited:
Back