• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Rattling

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
My cat rattles if im on certain angles in park or stopped at a light or accelerate sometimes until around 45MPH. Is it time for me to get out the flywheel and Miller?

RªMB° said:
My cat rattles if im on certain angles in park or stopped at a light or accelerate sometimes until around 45MPH. Is it time for me to get out the flywheel and Miller?

I'd suggest the Sawz-All and Fosters, but that's just me. I would, though, get on it soon as one day it will stop rattleing and you will have other problems (like keeping the engine running).

Next time you hear it try pressing physically down on your transfercase shifter. The bushings in the linkage wear out, and it gets rattly. You'd be amazed at how annoying it is.

Try hitting the cat with a dead-blow hammer, if it does nothing, it's not the cat. If it rattles, it is the cat. If it meows, you hit the wrong cat. -J

Both my XJ's cats rattle. 96 does have a recall. My 97 and 98 do not qualify so they will rattle until they fall off and get replaced.

I have an 87 XJ so im S.O.L for a recall :( . I guess that i'll drive it till it dies as usual.

erp467 said:
id like to know more about this 96 recall

From what I understand, the cat gets replaced and the computer gets flashed or something. I took both the VIN's into the stealership for my 97, 98 and was told no dice. 96's get it.

There should be a thread somewhere on NAXJA detailing this recall.

I tapped the cat with a dead-blow and it sounds like a plate is rattling around in it so my question is should i get a new one or remove it completely?

If you can whack your cat and it rattles, it means the honeycomb stuff inside is shot. Time for a new one. If it's a 96 there is a factory recall on it, free replacement. Plus they will update your computer with some better software perameters.

Nope have an 87 so no free replacement for me:hang:

mecompco said:
There are cheap--replace it and save Al Gore's environment. IIRC, my CATco highflow direct-fit was around $60.00 at www.summitracing.com.

How do you like yor CatCo highflow?

I got one on ebay for $60 shipped.

Then somebody told me that the insides melt sometimes?

Although all of their feedback was positive.

Seems to be fine on my rig!!

Back